First Timer: Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jcotrel1

Original poster
Aug 29, 2018
New York City, NY
I tried my luck at making snack sticks over Labor Day weekend. I stuffed 5 pounds of 80/20 beef into 19mm collagen casings. I used LEM Original Snack Stick seasoning. After reading the threads on here, I started at 130 degrees with no smoke for an hour, 130 with smoke for an hour,145 for an hour, 160 for an hour 170 for an hour and 180 until they were done. Took about 9 hours to get up to temperature. I know the ideal IT temp is 152 but some were closer to 160. Put them in an ice bath immediately following the smoker. I thought they came out pretty good.

I used my sausage stuffer with 1/2" tube. Next time, I will use the jerky gun with 3/8" tube. I think it will be much easier and faster.

The ones in the back seem to have gotten up to temperature quicker than the front.
Does anyone rotate the sticks in the smoker to maintain an even temperature?

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 207
Looks good. Be carful about 180 degrees, you could get fat out.

You remove the casings?

You don't have to. I don't like the texture of the casing so I peel them off.

Reactions: Jcotrel1
I rotate my racks in the smoker to get even smoke but never finish snack sticks in the smoker; takes way too long and heat is uneven, and it’s just plain inconvenient. If I want 5 hours of smoke I’ll smoke up to that point and the sticks may be 135 degrees or so. Out they come and go into the oven set on convection at 165 or 170 degrees. Every rack will have a thermometer. When a rack hits 150 degrees I hit the timer and in 60 seconds out it comes, per USDA guidelines, to avoid overlooked and dry sausage.

I tried my luck at making snack sticks over Labor Day weekend. I stuffed 5 pounds of 80/20 beef into 19mm collagen casings. I used LEM Original Snack Stick seasoning. After reading the threads on here, I started at 130 degrees with no smoke for an hour, 130 with smoke for an hour,145 for an hour, 160 for an hour 170 for an hour and 180 until they were done. Took about 9 hours to get up to temperature. I know the ideal IT temp is 152 but some were closer to 160. Put them in an ice bath immediately following the smoker. I thought they came out pretty good.

I used my sausage stuffer with 1/2" tube. Next time, I will use the jerky gun with 3/8" tube. I think it will be much easier and faster.

The ones in the back seem to have gotten up to temperature quicker than the front.

Your on the right track but your pushing your temps to high to fast. Yeah i know it can take some time. Your MES you will need to rotate the racks as there are hot spots. Also 180* can cause a fat-out of the meat.

If you stick with your stuffer you will get the hang of it and have better looking sticks.

Last edited:
Your on the right track but your pushing your temps to high to fast. Yeah i know it can take some time. Your MEW you will need to rotate the racks as there are hot spots. Also 180* can cause a fat-out of the meat.

If you stick with your stuffer you will get the hang of it and have better looking sticks.
what temps/time would you recommend? I need to find a 3/8" tube for my Cabela's stuffer. the 1/2" O/D is too big.

JCT1, Your sticks look good! I think Boyko and Nepas were just sayin don't go over 170 for a smoker temp, any higher than that will make the fat run out of your sticks making them dry. Also maybe start at 120 with no smoke and bump at 10 degree increments every hour until 170 is reached. LIKE!

what temps/time would you recommend? I need to find a 3/8" tube for my Cabela's stuffer. the 1/2" O/D is too big.

I use a 3/8' OD tube for my 13-15mm. Be careful as the smaller tube can be hard and can strip plastic gears. I use a LEM 5lb with metal gears. Dont know if they make a 3/8 tube for a Cabelas stuffer.

I use a Sausage Maker 30lb smoker with a PID. Have the PID set at 130 then slowly ramping to 165. Smaller diameter sticks dont take so long to get done. 18-21mm can take some time.
tsm30d.jpg

I found a 1/2" O/D tube at Walton's Inc that should be compatible with my stuffer. Should work well with 19mm casing. Looks like the one my stuffer came with is 11/16".
Thanks for the tips!

I run the same type of process. Even though I have the larger stuffer sim. To the lem - I stuff the smaller sticks with a gander mt. Jerky gun set for
The smaller casings with tapered tube from Bass pro. Very easy and 1/3 clean up time. Meat 80/20
Beef (or wild game with added pork fat 75/35) seasoned, mixed with cure and binder.
Stuffed right away then set in fridge overnight.
Usually make 5 pounds at a time - put every part of
Gun, and prep. materials in freezer to stay cold before stuffing. I try to get 165 Internal temp in the first 3hours starting at 100 degrees. Use only sparse fine chips during the smoking phase. And don't over season the meat .
Let sit for couple hours in cool after smoking - bag ,seal ,and enjoy.

20180909_133355.jpg

20180909_133355.jpg 20180908_175650.jpg
20180909_145508.jpg

Attachments

• 20180908_175708.jpg
    20180908_175708.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 150
Thanks for posting. Dying to do some sticks. I think jerky gun might be the way to go for me but seems like it would be a PITA to load. Any comments on using a gun? Also, do those casings need prepped/soaked/etc or just load and go? Any other advise for first timer? THANKS.

Thanks for posting. Dying to do some sticks. I think jerky gun might be the way to go for me but seems like it would be a PITA to load. Any comments on using a gun? Also, do those casings need prepped/soaked/etc or just load and go? Any other advise for first timer? THANKS.
I made some breakfast sausage over the weekend with the gun. The sausage stuffer is easier but only if you have the right size tube. The gun is easier to clean. But if you're making more than a pound, the stuffer is the way to go.

I bought edible collagen casings from LEM. No prep at all. Just stuff right out of the package.

Reactions: zwiller
Jcotrel1, morning... I noticed in your smoker, you have the grease drip tray above the heating element... The tray should be placed on the bottom of the smoker... Why you ask ??? MES has electronics in the floor of the smoker... Bottom left side and toward the back... That tray, or any tray that blocks the heat from rising, can cause the electronics to overheat... and you could kill your smoker... anywho, it's just something to think about...

Dave

Jcotrel1, morning... I noticed in your smoker, you have the grease drip tray above the heating element... The tray should be placed on the bottom of the smoker... Why you ask ??? MES has electronics in the floor of the smoker... Bottom left side and toward the back... That tray, or any tray that blocks the heat from rising, can cause the electronics to overheat... and you could kill your smoker... anywho, it's just something to think about...

Dave
Thanks Dave! I always put it underneath. Don't know why I put it on top this time.....thanks for the heads up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky