First time with the new smoker...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sir_McGyver

Original poster
Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, as last weekend was a rain-out, I broke the smoker in on Sunday. It is the MES 140s that was on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse on Black Friday Weekend. I ordered an AMNPS and as work has been busy, didn't have time to make the Mailbox Mod. I placed the AMNPS under the water pan, to the left of the heating element, sitting on the drip tray.

For my rub I used garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and brown sugar. In the past when I did the ribs in the oven (yes I know, Blasphemy!) I made a different rub, but this time I wanted to try something new, and then add to it as time and my skills as a smoker increase.
Ribs001.jpg

Overnight I seasoned the ribs and wrapped them in plastic.

As we wanted to eat around 4:00-4:30, I started the Pre-heat at approx. 9:15 to 9:25. This gave me time to get the AMNPS going and to ensure it was well lit. I used Smokehouse apple pellets and did a thick double row. I had read that the apple wood had a lighter smoke, so I figured that a double row would be about right. After all was said and done, I think I could have gotten away with just a single row. As I wasn't doing the full maze, I filled both outer rows level with the top of the device.

Ribs002.jpg

I think this might have contributed to the, in my opinion (The wife thought they were great!) a bit heavy smoke flavor...Not a lot, but seemed that way to me.

Ribs003.jpg

Anyway, at 10, the ribs went into The smoker for the journey to begin...

I used BearCarver's 2.5-2.5-1 time frame to cook...This is the ribs after 2.5 hours of smoke at 250 degrees.
Ribs005.jpg

At this point, I added 4 oz of apple juice, wrapped them up, and put them back in for then next 2.5 hours...

Ribs006.jpg

I opened the tinfoil and put the ribs back in the smoker as is...I wasn't sure if I should pull them out of the foil, but they looked like they were doing nicely, so I just left them in the tinfoil and pressed on...1 more hour to go!

This is the rack after I started cutting them up...yeah, they looked so good I forgot to take a pic before I waded in with the cutlery...They were definitely falling off the bone, and the small bits I was "Tasting, For Safety's Sake!" were outstanding!

Ribs008.jpg

Ribs009.jpg

Finally, plated for the Missus...there are still leftovers for dinner tonight!

I am so loving this smoker. My temps (according to the various thermometers I put inside) didn't do a lot of porpoising but were right around 245-255...I looked at the Temp Gauge, the MES Probe, my Oven Thermometer (in the window in one pic) and a Maverick wireless thermometer. I relied more on the Maverick and the Oven thermometer to gauge accuracy.

The AMPNS worked flawlessly. I had not seasoned it when I got it, so Saturday afternoon, I loaded it with pellets and started it at both ends and the middle of the center row. Figured this would burn off any oils or impurities that might have been left during the manufacturing process. Both rows burned down evenly during the cook, and at 2.5 hours both were almost to the end. To the creator of this device, I salute you sir! While it isn't that much of a hassle, it is a hassle to remember to have to go out and add chips and it ties you to the house. This allows you to get on with your day while the smoke smolders along nicely.

At the end of the night, leftovers were put away, clean up was done, and the smoker wheeled into the shed. I will start looking at making a wheeled stand to put it on to make it a bit easier to work with the lower trays when needed in the future. Just more fun to have on this journey...

See you through the smoke!

McGyver

Looks like you are off to a great start so far. Pork ribs are a favorite around here. That’s an excellent cut to choose for the maiden voyage. Thumbs up.

G

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky