First time with Kamado Joe 2 roasting chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

selli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Petaluma, Ca
used my ne KJ2 for first time. Prepped whole Chicken with dry brine for 5 hours. Set up and got heat up and regulated ate 350 for 5 lb. whole chicken. I used the heat deflectors and forgot to put some wood chunks on the coals (new user error!). Chicken reached 165 in about 50 minutes but chicken did not look done. Wasn’t browned at all. Let it cook longer and checked temp on breast all the way down and it was high 150s. Got it up to 167. Took it off and it appeared to be browning but still didn’t seem quite done. Coals were weakening so we finished it in the oven.
Where did I mess up and how do I get it right next time, it seems that maybe I should not have used the heat deflectors but would love some pointers. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

used my ne KJ2 for first time. Prepped whole Chicken with dry brine for 5 hours. Set up and got heat up and regulated ate 350 for 5 lb. whole chicken. I used the heat deflectors and forgot to put some wood chunks on the coals (new user error!). Chicken reached 165 in about 50 minutes but chicken did not look done. Wasn’t browned at all. Let it cook longer and checked temp on breast all the way down and it was high 150s. Got it up to 167. Took it off and it appeared to be browning but still didn’t seem quite done. Coals were weakening so we finished it in the oven.
Where did I mess up and how do I get it right next time, it seems that maybe I should not have used the heat deflectors but would love some pointers. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Wish I could help you there. I have no heat deflectors but my guess is that the air was deflected and not really able to run over the meat and eventually the meat came up to temp through pure radiation of heat. I'm just guessing about all of this. I figured it should have got that golden roasted color for sure.

Are you sure your therms are accurate, cause I pull my chicken off at 157 in the breast. & rest it on the counter for about 20 minutes then slice it up. It’s always juicy & since I smoke it at 325-350 the skin is bite thru. I do mine on a Lang, so I don’t know about the heat deflectors or any ceramic cooker for that matter. I’m sure some of the guys with your setup will jump in and give you the advice you need.
Al

Reactions: tallbm
Are you sure your therms are accurate, cause I pull my chicken off at 157 in the breast. & rest it on the counter for about 20 minutes then slice it up. It’s always juicy & since I smoke it at 325-350 the skin is bite thru. I do mine on a Lang, so I don’t know about the heat deflectors or any ceramic cooker for that matter. I’m sure some of the guys with your setup will jump in and give you the advice you need.
Al
Thanks for the reply’s. My Therm was definitely off. I think it’s fine with the heat deflectors but my guess is I took it off too soon thinking it was done.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky