First time use of ECA in SS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Just tried my SS made for first time with ECA. Used 3 Tbs. for 10#. A little less than max. The taste & tang are good but I don’t like the texture. It has a mushy texture to it. Is that the norm? Think I’ll stick with buttermilk. It was smoked right after stuffing.

I use ECA in my summer sausage and I've never noticed it causing any mushy texture.

I use ECA in my summer sausage and I've never noticed it causing any mushy texture

Same here. The SS is Tracy's favorite with the Cajun sausage a very close second. Needless to say, i make quite a bit of SS and only once, back when I first started making sausage, did I have any that was mushy. It was probably operator error though. I played around with the ECA a bit though and found myself using about half of the recommended amount. That seemed to give me the right amount of "tang" without overpowering the flavor of the sausage.

Robert

Mushy= Too much eca or ruptured eca before smoking or added eca then into fridge overnight before smoking.

3 T for 10 pounds is allot. What was your starting temp?

4 oz. per 25#'s of meat = 4 X 28.4 = 114 grams per 25#'s of meat = 114 / 25 = 4.5 grams per pound = 45 grams per 10#'s.... I have no idea what ECA weighs per tsp or TBS ....

I found add... 2, 3 and 4 TBS per 25#'s of meat and I found ECA, add 1 tsp per pound....
Boy O boy it's confusing...

Last edited:
Mushy= Too much eca or ruptured eca before smoking or added eca then into fridge overnight before smoking.

3 T for 10 pounds is allot. What was your starting temp?
Went from mixed, stuffed then smoker. Start temp was 110-120. ECA pack said 1 tsp/# so I was actually 1 tsp shy. I like the taste with ECA but I'd like to use something that I can mix & put in frig overnight for spices to blend. Then stuff next night to put back in frig overnight again to start smoking in the morning. Any suggestions? The problem is it's hard to run a 15# stuffer by yourself & I can get all kinds of evening help just no first thing in the morning help.

I have no idea what ECA weighs per tsp or TBS ....

I found add... 2, 3 and 4 TBS per 25#'s of meat and I found ECA, add 1 tsp per pound....
Boy O boy it's confusing...
[/QUOTE]
Weighs 3.4 grams per tsp. The pack said 1 tsp/#. 3 Tbs. weighed in at 32 grams. Please read the above to see what your thoughts are on a substitute. Want something that's KIS but still have the tang. Don't want to deal with a elaborate fermenting chamber. Thinking about trying some Safepro F-LC which I might be able to use my oven with just the light on & a few wet towels for 24 hrs. This is a new thought without having any of my cards in a row yet. This starter culture is all new to me. Next week check temps in oven. Any thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Wow you guys are too scientific for me! I just got some ECA to try (I've been using powdered milk for a binder). I don't measure much, just mix about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of powdered milk with a little water right before stuffing for a 5# batch. If I add it for overnight the mix is too stiff. I'll probably cut that in half with the ECA to start with just because I want to see what it does...
ECA is a binder like powdered milk, not a spice, so it doesn't need to blend overnight (which I do also).
I wasn't aware that it was supposed to add a "tang", though. I've been using Accent to get that in my Brats. I guess I'll find out :-)
You totally lost me with the post about fermenting chambers and starting cultures and towels, buzzy.
What sort of sausage are you making?

Wow you guys are too scientific for me! I just got some ECA to try (I've been using powdered milk for a binder). I don't measure much, just mix about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of powdered milk with a little water right before stuffing for a 5# batch. If I add it for overnight the mix is too stiff. I'll probably cut that in half with the ECA to start with just because I want to see what it does...
ECA is a binder like powdered milk, not a spice, so it doesn't need to blend overnight (which I do also).
I wasn't aware that it was supposed to add a "tang", though. I've been using Accent to get that in my Brats. I guess I'll find out :-)
You totally lost me with the post about fermenting chambers and starting cultures and towels, buzzy.
What sort of sausage are you making?

I want to make some Summer Sausage with a tang without using shortcuts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. This starter culture use is all new to me. Been doing a lot of reading & write to start out right. I'm hoping this adds to other fermented sausages once I'm more sure of things. I believe I already showed my ignorance a few times on here.

From what I've read it is 1 tsp per pound.I did a 5 pound pound batch with 5 tsp. Really didn't like it that way. The tang was over powering. With 3 tsp. I like it better. Mushy was probably from the ECA rupturing before it was supposed it.

[QUOTE="Steve H, post: 2060330Mushy was probably from the ECA rupturing before it was supposed it.
[/QUOTE]
That’s what I was thinking. Don’t know why.

I want to make some Summer Sausage with a tang without using shortcuts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. This starter culture use is all new to me. Been doing a lot of reading & write to start out right. I'm hoping this adds to other fermented sausages once I'm more sure of things. I believe I already showed my ignorance a few times on here.
No ignorance shown that I can see! I guess I didn't realize you were doing fermented sausage....
I don't have a chamber (no space), but I've made a couple of things with the Umai bags and don't recall ECA. I thought the culture was what gave it the tanginess. Like others have mentioned I've read about ECA "rupturing". Maybe that's why I've been leery of trying it.
Fun hobby, huh?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky