First time turkey questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mallard

Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
Planning on smoking with the MES 30 and 40 this weekend. I plan to have a few pork butt’s in one starting at 225° and spatchcock chicken in the other in the morning and wings in the afternoon Both cooked at 275°.

My FIL asked me last night if I would smoke a turkey for him while I have everything going. I’ve never done turkey before so a little help would be appreciated. I’m not sure how big a bird it is yet.

which temperature would be better 225° or 275°?

should I do whole or spatchcock? If spatchcock lay flat and fit on a mes 30 or mes 40?

Should I use the same rub I use on my chicken and pork?

any other tips or tricks?

I would do Turkey at 275 to try and get skin crispy, alot of people spatchcook, also try and dry skin as much as possible before smoking. You could leave it in fridge overnight or at least a couple hours uncovered, as for rubs what ever you like I would use.

275F for sure - but the skin will still probably need a quick blast at 425F in an oven to get it crispty.

Never spatchcocked one before, but I am sure it would cook faster than a whole turkey...but I will let the spatchcock experienced smokers answer that.

The last turkey breast I smoked, I ran my MES at 275 and every hr or so, Id bast the skin with some olive oil. Is it oven crispy, no but its far from rubber. Smoked this using mequite and orange peel

IMG_20191128_141810_141.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
I would do Turkey at 275 to try and get skin crispy, alot of people spatchcook, also try and dry skin as much as possible before smoking. You could leave it in fridge overnight or at least a couple hours uncovered, as for rubs what ever you like I would use.
Thank you all for the quick reply, I will add it to go in with the first chicken since it will be at 275 anyways. I have seen that mentioned to get the skin dry as possible before hand so I plan to leave it in the shop fridge to dry out the night before.

275F for sure - but the skin will still probably need a quick blast at 425F in an oven to get it crispty.

Never spatchcocked one before, but I am sure it would cook faster than a whole turkey...but I will let the spatchcock experienced smokers answer that.

any rough time you leave it in the oven at 425 to crisp up the skin?

The last turkey breast I smoked, I ran my MES at 275 and every hr or so, Id bast the skin with some olive oil. Is it oven crispy, no but its far from rubber. Smoked this using mequite and orange peel

View attachment 447420

Looks good, the skin doesn't look like it has much rub, do you just do the olive oil?

i would recommend 275 for sure. i did the first one at 250 and it turned out nice but not quite crisp enough and the other two at 275 and the skin was perfect for crispness. i also like to inject my turkey with hot sauce and garlic butter if that interests you. as for rub i use a rub called kickin chicken that tastes amazing on turkey.

turkey pic 1.jpg
turkey pic 2.jpg

Looks good, the skin doesn't look like it has much rub, do you just do the olive oil?

It was brined in a orange, black tea and bourbon brine, so not to overpower the brine I did a light coat of spog with a bit of chipotle mixed in

Mallard, what did you end up doing? I've got a turkey defrosted in the fridge that I'm trying to plan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky