First time summer sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1022addict

Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Kansas
First smoke on summer sausage. I used venison fiesta mix from Academy
80/20 hamburger and 50/50 Boston mix ( half pork half ground beef ).
8lbs of beef and 7lbs of Boston

I highly recommend the fiesta mix. One jar does 25lbs of meat. Comes with curing salt ( pink stuff ).

I packed the meat in casings 2 X 12 had enough left over to fill one and a half of the large mahogany casings. using my jerky cannon to fill the casing It took two fills for one tube of sausage.

Fired up the Great outdoor propane smoker and a smoke tube using Lumberjack competition blend pellets.

90 minutes at 125-130 to dry them out. Then bumped it to 140 and put in the smoke tube. Tried to gain 10 degrees per hour until 170.

I was trying my best to follow what I had read here I'm not much on following directions but I didn't want to blow out the casings or have a huge pool of grease in the bottom of the smoker. From too much heat.

8 hours of low and slow with smoke on for 6 hours. Here is the finished product.

Placed them in ice bath to shock them they are now in the fridge cooling and tomorrow I will vac seal them. I'm pleased with the result. Flavor is awesome

Reactions: SmokinAl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky