First time stuffer. Andouille.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
Didn't take many pictures as I was concentrating on the making and stuffing. Plenty of pics next time.

The recipe is from an La guy.

5 lbs butt, cut into 2 inch cubes.

1 tbs Cayenne

1/4 cup fresh chopped garlic

1/8 cup gound pepper

3 tbs Kosher salt

1tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves

1tsp crushed red pepper

1 tsp cure #1

1/2 cup ice water

Mixed the above and added the water and mixed more.

Tossed mixture with meat covered tight and into the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day.

Chopped half the meat into 1/4 inch chunks and ground the rest with the biggest plate.

Mixed the meat.

Had a lot of fun seperating the giant bag of hog casings. Followed all the instructions. (sheesh)

Used the middle size tube in the new 5 lb stuffer from Northern.

I did good stuffing,only had one break open. Put stufed sausages in the fridge.

Turned the MES on at 100,  put in an AMAZN filled with pecan to dry.  Hung sausages, left the door cracked til they were plenty dry.

Fired the Amazen off and set the temp to around 130.

All in all I am quite happy so far.

54c2203d_002.jpg

Last edited:
Those look really good to me as well. Really like andouille. Been ordering it from a place in LaPlace, LA. What I really liked about theirs is that the meat is not a fine grind like what you see in store bought smoked sausage. There are large chunks of pork. They also do a nice job of smoking them with pecan wood. They're great in gumbos and jambalaya. From what I can see of yours, they look very similar. Some store bought andouille I've come across just taste like regular sausage with a lot of cayenne pepper.

Great job.

Thanks. I have only one place in Atlanta that has real andouille. They make a trip to La once a week for fresh stuff. Ten bucks a pound.

I got the sausage making thing on so I can make this and several other cajun type sausages.

I need some sugar cane dust too. (hey Todd,ya listening?)

I make red beans and rice regular and jambalaya a few times a year.

Tasso and chorizo is next once I have the andouille nailed.

Those look really good to me as well. Really like andouille. Been ordering it from a place in LaPlace, LA. What I really liked about theirs is that the meat is not a fine grind like what you see in store bought smoked sausage. There are large chunks of pork. They also do a nice job of smoking them with pecan wood. They're great in gumbos and jambalaya. From what I can see of yours, they look very similar. Some store bought andouille I've come across just taste like regular sausage with a lot of cayenne pepper.

Great job.

Great looking results and looks like it tastes great too!  Where'd you get your casings from?  I order mine from the ol' stompin' grounds (Syracuse, NY) - these are what we used at Great American and are a premium casing and pre-loaded on slide-on tubes - no sorting necessary!  Yes, they're a bit more, but how much will you use?  I only order a couple times a year and it's not worth the hassle trying to sort out a hank of twisted up casings.  Here's the link:  http://www.makincasing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EM419&Category_Code=2

I got these from Butcher Packer. I thought that's where you said you got them. Hahahahaha Had a few other interesting cognitive mishaps this month. The brain injury is getting better..really.

Isn't it snowing up there now in Syracuse?

The temp is up to 135 so it won't be long we rinse and taste test.

Great looking results and looks like it tastes great too!  Where'd you get your casings from?  I order mine from the ol' stompin' grounds (Syracuse, NY)

Done! Took them out of the MES at 152. 7 hours smoke time.

Rinsed in cold water then hung at room temp with a fan on them for 3/4 hour.

Tastes almost exactly like what I wanted. Just a hair less garlic and it will be perfect.

YAAAAAAAA!!!!!
9b9fa2d3_002.jpg

Nice job. 

A hint on the casings, once you have them untangled place one or two casings per small zip lock, resalt and into fridge for storage.  Will make untangling them next time a no brainer.  I have the same problem with casings from Butcher and Packer.

1/4 c garlic does seem like quite a bit for 5 lbs of butt but still good eating I'll bet.

Al

53bba1af_Garlicindryingshed.jpg

Garlic in my drying shed.

Those look great! u makka me hungry

Too much garlic!

Send them to Dave!

Dave eats anything with garlic.

i'm sorry but I don't understand is the butt you are refering to pork butt? and if so was that smoked first and what is cure number one 

Yes it refers to boston butt.

Not smoked until it is stuffed.

Cures are used for several reasons.

Here's a quick look and I put the web site I got it from here too.

Good luck and have a  great day!

Craig

"Though salt has properties that can cure meat, when one talks about curing salts or cures they are referring to the use of sodium nitrite, potassium nitrite, sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate (saltpeter) which are used in the processing of their meat. The main reasons to use curing salts in smoked sausages are to prevent botulism poisoning, as well as impede the development of many food spoiling bacteria that can thrive in low temperature environment of a smoker. But that is not all that cures do. These curing ingredients also slow rancidity, provide the characteristic flavor, color and extend the self life of the meat."

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts  

wow thanks! I would like to add i am doing a fatty this weekend i am calling this the ultimate fatty. jimmy dean sausage rolled into a square filled with pulled pork back and mac n cheese rolled up with a bacon weave then wrapped in egg roll papers and deep fry-ed 

wow thanks! I would like to add i am doing a fatty this weekend i am calling this the ultimate fatty. jimmy dean sausage rolled into a square filled with pulled pork back and mac n cheese rolled up with a bacon weave then wrapped in egg roll papers and deep fry-ed 
You are welcome!

Most of the recipes from Charcuterie call for 5 pounds of meat.  

I usally get 2 butts and them have enough left over after weighing out 5 pounds to grind some fresh breakast sausage.

The fresh breakfast sausage makes fatties much tastier. Lots of recipes here,I use Pops mild recipe.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/83939/fassett-s-breakfast-sausage-seasoning  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky