First Time Smoking Turkey Legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mnmulisha

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Lincoln, NE
Hello Everyone!  

I plan on smoking some turkey legs this weekend.  I see there are quite a few brine recipes on here and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to do.  The question I have is this;  When I brine the legs, do I need to perforate the legs for them to better absorb the brine or do I just put them in and let them soak?

Also, is there any need to put a water pan in with the legs? I haven't seen anyone mention it so I'm guessing not, but I don't want them to end up dry.

Thanks for any input!

Haven't done just legs in a long time. Lots of fun to have everyone gnawing on them and waving them around. 

You don't need to perforate the skin. Turkey meat takes up brine really well. Just be sure they are fully submerged. You might need to place a plate or something similar atop them to keep them under.

Not knowing your smoker, it's hard to make the call for you on the water pan. If you smoke them low and slow they probably won't dry out, assuming you don't over cook. Dark meat is pretty easy to keep moist.

Happy drumming!

Thanks Athabaskar.  I'm using a home made electric smoker.  I was planning on smoking at 225 until the IT is at 170.  I'll make sure to keep an eye on them.  Pics to follow, stay tuned!

mulisha , go ahead witht e 'Brining' makes a succulent difference , if you can catch some drippings , do it and cook down with some 'Rub' in it for a special treat...

Have fun and...

Thanks for the help everyone!  Here's some pictures of what I've got so far.  I just put them in the smoker.

66c6ad0c_2012-05-26_10-25-11_685.jpg
49a88c87_2012-05-26_11-22-27_512.jpg
9e21408d_2012-05-26_11-22-40_246.jpg
9f66f44e_2012-05-26_11-22-55_916.jpg

I've used some of Chef Jimmy J's brine located here:  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122054/ideas-for-smoking-some-turkey-legs

I also used his rub recipe on a couple, some of Weber's Lemon Zesty Rub on a couple, and some of Sandhill Ben's Garlic Gourmet Seasoning on a couple.  They're in the smoker now, and I can't wait.  
grilling_smilie.gif

I had to add more wood chips and took a sneak peek. Looking mighty tasty! Photos to follow as I can't post them from my phone.

I had to add more wood chips and took a sneak peek. Looking mighty tasty! Photos to follow as I can't post them from my phone.

227d9433_2012-05-26_16-27-07_8361.jpg
06142817_2012-05-26_16-29-34_556.jpg

Tastes pretty good, but I think they are over smoked.  The skin is crispy and has great texture, but a bit of a bitter flavor from too much smoke.  The insides are extremely juicy and tender

and without the skin, the meat just falls apart.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky