First time smoking brisket... need some help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigRon108

Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
Hey all. New to the community so hello! I bought my first smoker last weekend. The pitboss pro series 4 from Lowe’s. Vertical pellet smoker. I smoked a couple easy things last weekend to get the hang of the smoker and understand how it works. It went well.
My wife happened to be at Costco yesterday and they had brisket choice flats. She grabbed me a 6 lb piece. I was planning on using Al’s method that I found on here, I was just hoping I could show a picture of the packaged flat to make sure I should still go that route. I feel like this piece is more like a combo of a flat and point. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0C984428-C40A-417E-BD2C-137A58209C15.jpeg
125619CA-7908-4B30-A677-68252A09D3AA.jpeg

Reactions: kruizer
First off welcome! Looks like a nice flat you have there! I don't see the point portion on there and most likely it would have weighed more if it had. I think Al's method should work great. Just be careful on it as flats tend to dry out pretty easily. Start probing it around 190 for tenderness. Could be anywhere from 190-210 so soon as it feels like a toothpick going into warm butter you are good. Also make sure you let it sit for at least 30 min before you slice it. Good luck take some pics and let us know how it turns out!

First off welcome! Looks like a nice flat you have there! I don't see the point portion on there and most likely it would have weighed more if it had. I think Al's method should work great. Just be careful on it as flats tend to dry out pretty easily. Start probing it around 190 for tenderness. Could be anywhere from 190-210 so soon as it feels like a toothpick going into warm butter you are good. Also make sure you let it sit for at least 30 min before you slice it. Good luck take some pics and let us know how it turns out!
Thanks for the reply! I will take pictures along the way.

Yep. Kind of hard to tell with it still cryo packed. You'll be able tell when it's unwrapped.
Either way, Al's method will get you the results you're looking for.

Reactions: BigRon108
I agree with SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan that looks like a nice big flat! Als method will work great. Can wait to see it cooking.

welcome to SMF - you have arrived.

You guys are awesome. Is there any benefit if I get it rubbed down tonight and/or injected or just do it while I get the smoker going tomorrow?

John ( SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) has you pointed (no pun intended) in the right direction. If it's only 6# there is little or no point attached. As thirdeye thirdeye said, if you have any of the point still in the cut, that's just a bonus. That's where all the flavor and marbling is. The flats tend to be much more lean than the point so once again, as John stated, be very careful not to over cook it. One thing you can be sure of though, if it comes from SmokinAl SmokinAl you can take it to the bank. It'll be good!! That fellow knows his way around a pit, as do others who have chimed in. You've gotten some really good advice here and best of luck!! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Welcome aboard!!
Robert

I can attest to the fact that Smokin Al's method works very well as I have used it twice. I'm sure it will come out great. Welcome to the site!

4 hours in. Definitely hit the stall. I’m using an inkbird WiFi thermo with 4 probes. It’s awesome! I checked it’s accuracy beforehand and it was dead on. I put one probe on the top rack. One on the bottom rack above the filled water pan. And one in the meat. Definitely been interesting to see. I have my pitboss set at 225. The inkbird app is pretty cool. I have a graphs and all. Will share later. Let me know what you think thus far!!
D9994DF0-829D-46F4-8055-BACE1448D652.jpeg
D289FAC8-8599-4765-BC4A-6A3F70D11AA3.png

Like the onion top at the end, don't believe I ever considered it, howw'd it work out for you. Probe for tenderness and done

It’s taking longer than I expected. I’m stalled out hard at 170. Just passed the 6 hour mark. Smoker set at 250. Measuring 310 directly above water pan and 230 at the top of the chamber.

It’s taking longer than I expected. I’m stalled out hard at 170. Just passed the 6 hour mark. Smoker set at 250. Measuring 310 directly above water pan and 230 at the top of the chamber.
170 and it stalls. Must be off by this reply. Well, that's when I wrap and that also depends what cooker I may be using. I don't have a pellet cooker but I feel I would have wrapped anyhow and pulled the onions to use later because they would 've disintergrated to mooosh if you left em in the wrap. If I were using a kamado the decision maybe to let it ride as is because the moisture content within the chamber stays . Yah, once it stalls it takes awhile to push through and the wrap helps considerably. 195-205 start probing for tenderness, pull if good and set in a cooler up to 4 hours wrapped in a towel( not the wife's best) depending upon serving time but at an hour at least. Hope it was tasty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky