First time smoked rib roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
Picked up this choice bone in rib roast from Winco for $5.98lb. In all my years of smoking just never did a rib roast, I would always cut them up into ribeye steaks. It was 7.4 lbs but I cut the bones out and put them aside for another time. Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Scored the fat cap cross hatched style after reading BearCarver's posts about it. Also sprinkled worstershire sauce into the fat cuts. Just on the fat cap side *wish I did more of that on the other sides after tasting the meat close to the fat cap.
Heated up the MES 40 to 225 degrees and put some 75/25 hickory/alder chips in. Put it in about 2pm and it hit an IT of 138 degrees at about 5pm so I pulled and rested it. Served with some mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and of course, punch-you-in-the-face level horseradish. I didn't get a plated shot but here is some Q view
20201225_134030.jpg

20201225_175424.jpg

20201225_180745.jpg

20201225_181127.jpg

Looks perfect! I suppose I'll let ya slide by with no plated pics this time...but only this time, love me some mashed taters and gravy! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Picked up this choice bone in rib roast from Winco for $5.98lb. In all my years of smoking just never did a rib roast, I would always cut them up into ribeye steaks. It was 7.4 lbs but I cut the bones out and put them aside for another time. Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Scored the fat cap cross hatched style after reading BearCarver's posts about it. Also sprinkled worstershire sauce into the fat cuts. Just on the fat cap side *wish I did more of that on the other sides after tasting the meat close to the fat cap.
Heated up the MES 40 to 225 degrees and put some 75/25 hickory/alder chips in. Put it in about 2pm and it hit an IT of 138 degrees at about 5pm so I pulled and rested it. Served with some mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and of course, punch-you-in-the-face level horseradish. I didn't get a plated shot but here is some Q view
View attachment 477172
View attachment 477173
View attachment 477174
View attachment 477175

First time? This looks fantastic! Good work.

I’ve seen people post up their expensive steaks on here multiple times and not once has it looked as good as yours. Some people have it, some people don’t I guess . . .

Reactions: flatbroke
That looks fantastic. I have never done one either and got one today as well! Nice work on that delectable cut.

Thanks for the likes! Yeah jcam222 - I was really satisfied with the crust, I had heard of people putting them under high heat in various ways at the end to sear them and I thought I might have to but it came out beautiful with just the smoker. I did kick it up to 275 for the last 20 minutes as the sides were finishing up a little early.

Looks awesome nice job

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky