First Time Smoke Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nyylonghorn

Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Hello ya'll, i've never used a smoker in my life. I want to start out with an easy build but have a few questions. I'm looking to build a square brick smoker but was wondering how far the heat source should be from the racks.  Also was wondering how many dampers for air flow i should put. Below I sketched a basic drawing of what i was thinking of building. Sorry for my lack of computer skills. I have two

racks from an old BBQ im using. I also want to put some wheels on this thing so when im not using it i can put it my shed. Thanks for any help i can get. 

For the size:  5.3 x 2.6 x 2.6  feet . I was thinking both wood over charcoal and wood over a portable burner. For the temperatures 200-300 F. 

When you get a chance will you drop by roll call and update your profile. It makes it easyer sometimes to answer questions when we know what part of the forld you are in. Alos everyone can give you a proper SMF welcome.

Now back to your smoker. I would try to get the bottom rack 24" above the heat. If you can add a heat defuser that will make it work a lot better. I would make the  racks adjustable if possable. i would make a charcoal basket to make it easyer to add fuel and get it fired up..I don't know what you will be making the door or roof out of.

I know you said you wanted brick and to be able to move it. Have you thought about plywood? cheaper/easyer to work with/ easyer to move. You might look on here at other smokehouse builds to get ideas.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky