First time Scarbelly wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good!

Scarbelly wings to me are all about the injection. I've used this plenty of times since I first saw it and incorporated my own rubs and sauces. But I always inject with butter and buffalo now.

Thanks!

What do you mean by all about the injection? Reason I ask is because I feel that I didn't inject the right way. The wings didn't nearly have enough sauce in them. I injected as much as I could pack into the wings (Franks & Creole Butter), and then rolled them in more sauce before going into the smoker. I just felt like most of the sauce cooked out of the wings.

Yeah the sauce will leak out as they smoke but they came out tender and juicy right? That's the goal!

Before I saw the scarbelly injection I just figured injecting the wings was crazy and not worth it for such small pieces of meat.

When I eventually tried it I could tell a world of difference. Try not injecting and you'll notice a moisture difference and a flavor difference. I certainly did. Makes it worth all the prep time injecting those wings!! Lol!

The wings in the center of the smoker came out full of juice. The ones on the edges came out a little dry, I think because it was hotter at the reverse flow plate openings.

Yeah that's probably what it was. Hard to say since I've never used your smoker but makes sense. Imagine had you not injected... A lot more dry!

I wouldn't sweat the injection process there's really no way to do it wrong. Shoot them up till they plump up. Your gonna loose some of that sauce while they cook. No way around it. I won't smoke wings again without injecting them.

Looks good!

Scarbelly wings to me are all about the injection. I've used this plenty of times since I first saw it and incorporated my own rubs and sauces. But I always inject with butter and buffalo now.
Can someone give me the Scarbelly recipe and procedure for wings...I have done a search and it did not come up.

Thanks,  John

Scarbelly wings are just wings injected with a mixture of buffalo sauce and creole butter. 2 to 1 ratio if memory serves me correct. Then sauce the outside with the same mixture, and rub with extra creole seasoning.

Pretty simple but the injecting works magic on the tiny wings as far as moisture and flavor go. I've honestly only made them the "scarbelly" way once and then went my own way with injections and rubs on them. But injecting them is the key to the success of these wings IMHO.

Try it out and then vary from there. Can't go wrong.

I always let my injected wings rest a good 8 hours in the fridge prior to smoking. This lets the marinade and flavors really soak into the meat. I also always do a high temp smoke, 350+. Skin comes out crisp. Meat is moist, and packed with flavor. When injecting use multiple injection points and smaller amounts to get all the meat flavored.

Thanks for the thread...When I did the search I guess I was expecting an original  thread posted by our friend Scarbelly (may he rest in peace).

I thought perhaps there would be some "magic" he bestowed upon the injected wings that no one else could duplicate.

Thanks again,  John 
Actually that is  the original Scarbelly wing thread. Dave named the wings in honor of Gary because, Gary liked them so much.

The injection is the magic. And as someone pointed out earlier use multiple injection points (I do as well). But I haven't let them rest after they were injected. Gonna have to try that now. Makes sense.

The injection is the magic. And as someone pointed out earlier use multiple injection points (I do as well). But I haven't let them rest after they were injected. Gonna have to try that now. Makes sense.
The Scarbelly Wings are going on the Mini Weber Smokey Mountain this weekend...Can't Wait!!

Thanks guys for all your help and settling my confusion.

John  (BandCollector)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky