First time ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leon1972

Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
this will be my very first smoke! I want to do some ribs with a fruity blend I have.
I’ve read though that fruit blends tend to be light on the flavor. What type of rub would be good to go with that so it doesn’t overpower the fruity flavor?
I’ve never cooked ribs before also. So any tips would be helpful. I’m thinking I’ll try the 3 2 1 method for my first tome out? What would be the best method for a first timer?
I’m also using a Traeger if that matters.
I’m also going to try some jerky this weekend too!

Don't over think it. Salt, pepper and a bit of sugar would be more than enough for a rub.

You can follow the 3-2-1 method but keep an eye on temps. Get the ribs off @ 195 regardless and you'll be happy

Don't over think it. Salt, pepper and a bit of sugar would be more than enough for a rub.

You can follow the 3-2-1 method but keep an eye on temps. Get the ribs off @ 195 regardless and you'll be happy
When you say at 195 you mean ribs are at 195 right?

Am I overthinking this or do I need a needle temp probe for ribs and not my Traeger temp probe?

Well, def don't rely on factory probes.

Get yourself a good thermometer. I'd suggest an instant read and a thermo that you can have inserted in the meat throughout most of the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky