First time no water in pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dunstablegrizzly

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Dunstable, MA
So woke up around 6am today and started on pulled pork. Rubbed the 4lb boneless butt, shoulder, and let it sit while I got the wsm up and going. I decided to run the water pan empty since it was going to be in the low 40s to high 30s. Placed a pizza pan I bought cheap at walmart on top of the empty water pan so I wouldn't have to clean a mess.

Anyways buried 4 chunks of hickory and mesquite wood in the charcoal. Just put charcoal up to the top of the fire ring not over it. I think about 8 lb or slightly less. So I lit the wsm with a propane torch through an intake vent I learned from this site. I think it might have been noboundaries I got this from. So it literally took about 4 minutes and i had reached 240ish so i pulled the torch and placed the meat in the chamber. Temp dropped to about 180ish but it climbed to 221 within 15 mintues. I then closed the bottom vents to about 3/16 open on each. Pit stayed between 221 to 243 throughout 9 plus hours and when I shut down the vents I still had about 1/3 of the charcoal left. It burned very efficiently.

I spritzed at the 2 hour mark then every 1.5 to 2.5 hours after. The butt hit the stall at 147 which is the lowest temp i have seen for a butt and stayed there for almost forever and a day. Got a little restless as I wanted to eat early so i pulled and wrapped it in foil to finish the cook. It got tender at 202 so I pulled it. Only let it rest for about 15 minutes then we tore into it. Couldn't wait as I was hungry.

Came out great just wished I had started earlier as I never seem to time it correctly so we eat early. I just need to wake up a couple of hours earlier I guess.

Attachments

• 20200328_131036.jpg
    20200328_131036.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200329_160633.jpg
    20200329_160633.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
That looks great, I never use a water pan.
I actually filled mine with sand and cover it with foil with a drip pan over it. If I want moisture I spritz or throw a 28 oz can of boiling water to one of grill grates it really helps maintain a constant temp in the smoke box.
Try it made all the difference in the world in my old propane smoker.

That looks great, I never use a water pan.
I actually filled mine with sand and cover it with foil with a drip pan over it. If I want moisture I spritz or throw a 28 oz can of boiling water to one of grill grates it really helps maintain a constant temp in the smoke box.
Try it made all the difference in the world in my old propane smoker.

Yeah I tried it and it works well. I have a smoker I built that I switched out the water with sand for when I do high temp cooking like chicken. I just tried the empty water pan on the wsm because it struggles when it's cold out where I live. It performed well and the food was good. I was a little concerned because I thought it would have temp swings but it was rock solid.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky