First Time Naked Cook of Ribs and Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Funny thing ... I didnt start it till midnight...now Im thinking I should have started it earlier...LOL It was a 10 lb shoulder that I trimmed about 2lbs off in skin and excess fat That makes it 8 lbs approx. At 2hr per lb would put me at 16 hours....Im at 15 now and just hit the 160 mark....guessing this is going to go alot longer than anticipated.....problem is I have guests coming at 7 for the football game tonight. View attachment 402529

At 275F naked without opening the smoker a pork shoulder will take a hair over 1hr a pound. Those 2 cuts of meat don't really care what temp they are cooked at. You may want to crank up to 300F or so if possible.

In the future if you can confidently hold 275F you can plan very easily. Oh another thing on cuts like the pork shoulder try and plan to finish about 4 hours early. If it runs late then you have a 4 hour buffer. If you finish 4 hours early you just double wrap in foil, then wrap in 3 bath towels, and set on the counter until 10min before time to eat. It will be piping hot at meal time :)

Best of luck with the smoke! :)

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
UPDATE TIME!!!.....It was 4 pm and I was starting to sweat....what do I do? What do I do....F@*% IT !! So I have decided to brave it out and believed that the stall will give way and this thing will start rocking and rolling. At 4 30 she had climbed to 165...Im thinking there is a ray of hope....it is 620 and she has just hit the 196 mark.....I have pulled it and checked the temp and the instant probe went in like BUTTAH....Almost 19 hours.....I took a quick Photo and it is happily wrapped and resting waiting for my company to arrive and become the star of the show.

Im guessing you would like to see some pics?!?
IMG_2561.jpg

The ribs were pulled at 6 Hours I lifted them for the bend test and they bent almost in half and did not break they temped at 198 and look heavenly!

IMG_2554.jpg

I have some ABT's on now and should be finished just in time for the party!!

IMG_2557.jpg

I'm glad you stood your groung and that it worked out well although I knew it would.
Isn't it funny how you cant get decent bark wirh a pellet grill? LOL

WHO SAID THAT...LOL

The bark came out incredible....Since I always wrapped my shoulders I never got that true crusty bark but this time I did. Wow what a difference!!

I also smoked it over a pan to catch the drippings. I separated out the fat and mixed the Au Jus back into the pulled meat. Everybody devoured it!

I want to extend a personal thank you to @sandyut for the inspiration to completely try a new method of cooking my ribs and pulled pork. And to all of you guys that urged me on and cheered me on during this cook....my party is a hit with the food although my football team isn't doing so hot... lol

IMG_2565.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together ... That my friend is some mighty fine looking eats... I'm thinking your not gonna need much tutoring at the Gathering... GREAT JOB ...

I love it when a plan comes together ... That my friend is some mighty fine looking eats... I'm thinking your not gonna need much tutoring at the Gathering... GREAT JOB ...
Looks can be deceiving...lol Even a blind squirrell finds a nut once in a while. Thank you for such a great review. It is so much appreciated.

Fabamundo, way to go Nu that all looks excellent!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you HalfSmoked HalfSmoked for the kind words! I learned alot. Not just from this cook but from this forum. This place is the best and the people here are even better!!

Reactions: sandyut
Hey gmc2003 gmc2003 Thank you so much. Lots of great ideas coming from you and the others here!

NU2SMOKE NU2SMOKE just a FYI, if you ever run into a time crunch again, try pulling the butt out around 175 IT. I like to make chopped at that temp
Ive never heard of that....what is the texture of the meat at that temp? Is it moist? I may have to try that sometime...Thank you for the suggestion!

Looks great Nu!!! 19hrs is typically what it takes me to smoke a 9lb shoulder.

Can’t beat that bark though!

Like!

Great job and great looking food!
Unwrapped all the way for me as well, I love it. If you want even more bark you can cut a split from the bottom of the pork butt upwards to right near the bone and then kind of lay it "spread" out. It doesn't really spread it it does enough so that seasoning gets in there, more bark forms, and more smoke flavor and penetration happens in the meat. I think one of the guys in my post called it the Buttcrack method hahaha.

Keep it up and keep figuring out your process to repeat this success and get the timing sorted out :)

No invite needed my friend your always welcome around my pit!!
So what is your address? lol

Looks great...I am really going to have to look into a good pellet grill when the summer ends (sales??). I have an electric vertical (smoky Hollow) and I can't imagine doing an overnight smoke, I like my sleep too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky