First time making Summer Sausage...help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beginner1988

Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
I just made summer sausage with venison and pork fat. I measured out 10 lbs of ground meat and added my cure/seasonings. I realized as I was putting them on the smoker that I was 1.5 lbs of on my measurement. I went ahead and smoked them for 5.5 hrs to an internal tempt of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. With dosing my cure for 10 lb and really having 11.5 is my sausage safe to eat?

(P.S. I already tried some and it is incredible...maybe a little salty. I mainly just want to know if I can share with friends in good faith.)

we would need to know the brand of cure ya used to calculate the cure amount in the sausage..

Ok it looks like you cure is 6.25 % nitrate, so if ya used two level teaspoons that would give you 130ppm. (Parts Per Million) most shoot for 150ppm.
My opinion is it would be safe to eat, as I think 120ppm is minimum recommend amount .
One question, is the 11.5 pounds after it was all mixed and stuffed?

Ok it looks like you cure is 6.25 % nitrate, so if ya used two level teaspoons that would give you 130ppm. (Parts Per Million) most shoot for 150ppm.
My opinion is it would be safe to eat, as I think 120ppm is minimum recommend amount .
One question, is the 11.5 pounds after it was all mixed and stuffed?
Yes

Ok, you only measure the cure for the meat block itself. So sounds like you're good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky