First Time Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
Well...I decided to try a basic jeky for my first attempt. I used a bottom roast that started out about 4 lbs, and then was trimmed to remove all the visible fat. For the spice/cure, I used Hi Mountain pepper/garlic that include the cure as well as the spices. I did everything by weight, and it seemed tomhave come out reasonably well. I let it cool on the racks for a while, then in zip lock bags that I left open before closing.
It was smoked on my Traeger for about 2 hours at 165 w/ super smoke turned on.
249726C3-DAFD-439D-AEA2-FFF4BFF51AFA.jpeg . 2C8C9A3F-06D3-4E1B-9295-AFB67DAD3B0C.jpeg CD0E939E-1AEA-4897-BA98-25C57AA86D12.jpeg 01EA25CA-513E-422E-95BD-3F8E56764550.jpeg

Wow, that looks great and you make it look so easy!! I tried it once and while I enjoyed it, the process seemed to take me 3 days. Have not tried since.....

Thanks all - it marinated about 20 hours, and having a slicer made it easy to get the thickness I was hoping for before I sliced it into the strips.

It is pretty tasty and I didn't over smoke it, so the chew is good. I will ramp up spices etc. next time. The saddest part is that theoretically jerky uses the inexpensive cuts of meat, but even this bottom round was $6.49/lb 😳

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky