First time jerky question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike3ga88

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Rockmart GA
Hi all, I’m wanting to attempt my first batch of jerky this weekend. I picked up a Hi Mountain jerky cure and seasoning kit at a local store. I was wanting to try teriyaki flavor, I just now read the instructions in the kit and see that this is a dry marinade kit. My question for anyone that has used any of these kits, can I add a liquid marinade to the dry mix as long as I measure out the dry mixes correctly? Thanks all, I guess I should have searched and just bought the ingredients to make my own mix, but for first time I wanted to keep it simple as possible.

M3G. Are you talking about mixing the dry ingredients with water ? I would say yes but your brining time increases, I always soak my jerky in brine for two days before giving it an air dry to form a pellicle and then into the smoker.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike3ga88
Hi Mountain is intended to be applied directly to the jerky meat. It is not intended to be mixed with water or any other liquid as far as I know. I have used it in the past and never did it say in the instructions to mix with water.

Follow the instructions that came with the kit and you shouldn't be disappointed.

John

M3G. Are you talking about mixing the dry ingredients with water ? I would say yes but your brining time increases, I always soak my jerky in brine for two days before giving it an air dry to form a pellicle and then into the smoker.
I guess what I was wanting to do, was something similar to Bears pork loin jerky that is in the jerky forum. I guess I figured I could just use the premixed seasoning from the kit and mix with the liquids instead of getting all the dry ingredients separate.

Use as directed, mix the meat up numerous times to make sure all pieces are getting seasoned. Have used it before. Prefer High Country over High Mountain for store bought.

Second what Band collector said. I used Hi Mountain before when I started making jerky. It is worth trying it as directions call for. It does pull moisture from your meat, so it kind of makes it's own liquid so you should put it in a pan or in a ziplock baggie.
There are lots of liquid based recipes on this forum and Jerkyholic.com.

Second what Band collector said. I used Hi Mountain before when I started making jerky. It is worth trying it as directions call for. It does pull moisture from your meat, so it kind of makes it's own liquid so you should put it in a pan or in a ziplock baggie.
There are lots of liquid based recipes on this forum and Jerkyholic.com.
I decided to follow the directions and I did add just alittle teriyaki powder instead of liquid, I’ll see how it goes

Soy Vay "Very Very Teriyaki" low sodium marinade sauce makes a good base for a jerky marinade.
I mix one bottle of that with 1/2 cup soy sauce, a Tbs of Sriracha, 1/2 can of frozen orange juice, 1/2 tsp coriander and 1 tsp fish sauce for my 5# batches.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky