First Time for Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I am going to do my first run on bacon but I need some info ? Costco has 2 types of pork to work with and I want to know which is best for making bacon ? Pork belly or pork belly with the rind on ? Also should I buy a pre packaged brine or just mix my own. Now the tough question which pre mix should I get ? I see Brown sugar and honey and maple are available at most of the online stores.

Reactions: JLeonard
I like the rind.
i haven't used a commercial mix, just Pop's Brine or Bearcarver's Tenderquick dry cure.

Both are excellent.

I use plain ole belly because that's what is available to me. Haven't used any commercial cures either just tenderquick or cure 1, and have used pop's brine also.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
I have been using Disco's dry rub for quite a long time now. Here it is on YouTube, I couldn't find it here, but it is here somewhere. . The AMAZN Smoker is an essential in my mind, although you could get away without it.

I often add additional stuff to his basic rub for different flavors (pepper, coriander, red wine, whatever seems like a good idea)

I have been using Disco's dry rub for quite a long time now. Here it is on YouTube, I couldn't find it here, but it is here somewhere. . The AMAZN Smoker is an essential in my mind, although you could get away without it.

I often add additional stuff to his basic rub for different flavors (pepper, coriander, red wine, whatever seems like a good idea)

Thanks for the video man, makes it so easy to see.

Here's the bacon rinsed off and refrigerated overnight going into the smoker with a nice pellicle
485853F2-A73C-4F4B-BBD6-A262E9360550_1_105_c.jpeg

I was pissed off when I found out they didn't have " Realtree Camo" but I guess woodland ain't so bad ! Now that little scooter is bad ass. The kids on the block don't stand a chance against me now.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
You commented all over it lol.

I am going to do my first run on bacon but I need some info ? Costco has 2 types of pork to work with and I want to know which is best for making bacon ? Pork belly or pork belly with the rind on ? Also should I buy a pre packaged brine or just mix my own. Now the tough question which pre mix should I get ? I see Brown sugar and honey and maple are available at most of the online stores.
I do rind off - I get mine at BJ's and love doing a peppered bacon cure. I just put one in the fridge last night, so by next weekend, it should be ready to smoke.

This is based on a 5lb. belly, and other than the Prague, I do vary some of the ingredients. I tend to add more pepper and pepper flakes because I love the taste. And if you like a less salty variety cut back on the Kosher salt. I'll add more pepper when I smoke it of course :) Everything gets mixed together to a pasty consistency, in the large ziploc bag and massaged on all sides. I'll flip and massage daily until it's ready to come out.
  • 1 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
  • 5 Tablespoons coarse Kosher salt
  • 5 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

Reactions: poacherjoe
I used to remove the rind before slicing. Then one time i forgot and realized when i took it out of the freezer for slicing. I thought....how bad can it be and sliced with rind on. I usually slice very thin1.5-2.5 on my slicer. Texture was great, crunch, added smoke flavour from the rind. Never went back.

Last edited:
Here's the finished product. It turned out just fine and I can make adjustments if I so choose to do this again but I will try a few different recipe's in the future and get it right where I like it best. Thank's for all the help and adviceView attachment 634198
Mmmmmmm lookin good!

What I like about 145F bacon is that you can eat it as you slice it and right out of the vac seal packs. Honestly, most of my bacon never hits a skillet hahhaha. Bacon cold cuts!!! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky