First Time Buyer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kcascarelli

Original poster
May 29, 2020
Hey Guys,

Brand new to the forums here. I recently bought a house and to celebrate, I'm looking to buy a smoker/grill. I'm not totally new to barbecue-- I've used a cheap 'handmedown' electric smoker in the past, and actually used to work as Meat Carver (cool title that basically means I can cut brisket real well and tell you why you should just jump for the St. Louis and Baby Back Ribs). I have been looking at offset smokers the last week or so. I'm looking for something that can serve as my primary grill, and be a great option for smoking. As I just made a gigantic purchase, I'm really looking to keep whatever I buy under under $4-500 so I've been looking at the OK Joe Highland Reverse Flow and it seems like it could be a good fit. I'm liking that the reverse flow gets rid of dead spots, and it seems like a step up from a CharGriller. I've read a lot about the mods needed (gasket, dual thermometers, etc.) and am willing to tinker on it. I work with youth in the community and I anticipate hosting a lot cookouts, so a big draw is the cooking space. However my biggest concern is that the OK Joe might not last very long (I've heard it loses paint and rusts out pretty quickly). Im looking for something that isnt going to just bust on me in a few years. Is there a better option than the OK Joe? Another question I have that I can't seem to get a clear answer on: with the OK Joe/offset smokers in general, I see you can use the firebox for direct heat/grilling. Can I put charcoal and do the same in the main cooking chamber?

The other option I'm considering is sacrificing some of the cook space and going with a classic Weber kettle to start. It offers a lot of versatility and seems to have excellent build quality. Plus its a little easier on the wallet.

Looking forward to joining the community here and thanks in advance for your responses!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Don't know too much about the OKJ's but I don't think you can go wrong with a weber kettle just because of its versatility and long life. Another type you might look into would be a kamado style grill like a Big green egg or a kamado joe. You will probably spend over your budget on it but they are great for smoking and grilling.

Reactions: jcam222
What about the Bronco? I know you said space, but that has some really good reviews.

Edit: Welcome to the forum. Very good place!

Last edited:
Welcome! A 26" Weber would give you the space and versatility, if I was only going to have only one smoker it would be that. RAY

Welcome aboard.

In addition to all the excellent suggestions above, you might want to look at the Masterbuilt 560 gravity fed too since you're looking for something that will pull double duty.
Yeah, it's at the top of your budget range, but a lot of members here give the 560 good reviews.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky