First time brisket advice needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kebrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
South Carolina
So I recently bought a new MES 30 digital smoker. This is my first smoker ever and I've committed myself to smoking a small brisket flat (5 lb.) for a small dinner with friends on the 4th of July. I'm planning to keep it simple with only salt and pepper for the seasoning. I want to pull the brisket off the smoker and get it into a cooler around 10-11 am on the 4th so I can also smoke some chicken thighs, legs and corn on the cob for the meal. Looking for suggestions on when I should start smoking the brisket? How often should I be adding wood chips to the smoker? how unreliable is the built in thermometer? I don't have a good digital temp probe yet, but I do have an instant read thermometer. An any other advice you guys want to offer up. Appreciate all input given.

My advice is to use the search bar at the top of the page to find briskets. You will be able to get a rough idea of time-per-pound at a certain temperature. All briskets act differently but are done when a toothpick slides in like butter. ( Usually in the neighborhood of 195 to 200 degrees).

And yes the Masterbuilt thermos are notoriously unreliable!

Range from 1-2 hours per pound. Temp and cut of meat will determine which end. I like to shoot for 240 cooking temp and I always leave a 4 hour window to sit in cooler at end of smoke. I'm usually cooking 10 plus pound briskets.

Better to get it done earlier than have people waiting. If I was cooking a 5 pounder I would plan on 7 hours with a 3 hour rest. So 10 hours ahead of time at 240 should get you going well ahead of time. It might be done at 5 hours or it could be done at 8. Leaves a ton of time for you.

Some others can tell you what the limits on sitting in the cooler are. 4-5 hours tops is what I've read.

You don't need a ton of chips in the smoker. Add chips the beginning of the smoke for a few hours and then let it cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I definitely would rather it be done earlier than later. Especially since will also have chicken thighs and corn on the cob to smoke as well. It's sitting in my fridge right now with a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. I don't plan to spray this one because I don't want to be opening the door on the smoker unless I have to.

So, brisket has been in the cooler since about 5:10 this morning. Here is the timeline for everything:

11:50 PM - Brisket into smoker at 235 degrees

Added chips twice, when I didn't see anymore smoke

2:45 AM - Brisket temp hits 165 (instant read probe and built in therm both confirmed)

Placed into pan, covered with foil and placed back into smoker

5:08 AM - Brisket hits temp of 203. Comfirmed with both therms again.

Used toothpick test and it went in without resistance. ( I was concerned about the short cook time)

Wrapped everything in towels and placed into towel lined cooler.

It's still sitting in the cooler as of 10:00 AM. wasn't expecting it to be done so quickly and guests won't be arriving till around 1:00. I'm just hoping everything turned out well will update with picture of finished brisket once I pull it from cooler and slice.

Flats tend to cook faster than packers due to being thinner without the point. Just make sure you keep it above 140. If you need to pop in the oven at its lowest temp setting, typically 170ish. Pull out at 12 and you should be good to go when guests arrive.

Lance

Thanks. Just put into oven. Temp was only slightly below 140. Cooler was keeping it pretty warm.

That looks a million times better than my first brisket! Damn thing had a hell of a chew to it! Lol!

Fine job! Happy 4th!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky