First time and i think it went ok

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes I put the cure in the meat, but in the thread on how to handle casings after the soak and you use what you need he said you can put non idolize salt on the casings and put them in the refrigerator. I was wondering how long they will last. This is only to know how large a pack to buy.
I have casings over 8 years old packed in the salt brine that is described in that thread. I used a length last week without a blowout. It is the only way to store your casings, IMHO.
Al

Reactions: indaswamp
Well I completed the process. I will have to try a different way to smoke the thermometer read 150 but it’s at the top of my grill. I never got that real good color I see on here but it is venison. Everything went ok bit there main problems with this batch. 1. the casings are tough and 2. The sausage is crumbly. I used packs of venison bacon burger so maybe the processor adds liquid to it, and then I added liquid not sure. I kept everything cold when making it they are plump and firm I just did not get the right consistency. They are delicious, but when you cut them liquid comes out that is watery. Will try again, I trying to use what I already hand before I grind my own. I have an old grill I am going to try to turn into a sausage smoker.

Attachments

• 55AEA1CE-0644-4542-8666-31FB74E7D42F.jpeg
    55AEA1CE-0644-4542-8666-31FB74E7D42F.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 24CB1D91-B480-4F3B-A27F-1B0C012BD40A.jpeg
    24CB1D91-B480-4F3B-A27F-1B0C012BD40A.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 6
  • E6107ADC-0B17-4B6E-AD38-61644F24A499.jpeg
    E6107ADC-0B17-4B6E-AD38-61644F24A499.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Dry and crumbly may mean fat out. I've had it happen when my sausages got too hot. Now I just smoke my sausages at low temps until I get the color I want, then poach in the sous vide pot to finish (152°). This keeps the sausages from getting too hot, and also helps give a little more snap to the casings. I don't know what woods you smoked with, but cherry is the secret to getting an awesome color on sausages and bacon. I run a 50/50 blend of either cherry/hickory, or cherry/pecan.

Cherry is what I smoked with. Not sure what happened with the casings being tough but I am going to mix a small batch tomorrow and try again on Friday.

Just make sure to keep your batter cold during mixing/stuffing so you don't smear fat. As to fat, is there enough in the grind you're using? You want like 15-30%, going off memory here, but I believe 15% is the low end, and 30% is the high end.

On the tough casings, there can be a number of causes including the casings themselves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky