• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Successful Summer Sausage

labs17

Joined Jan 16, 2021
I have made a number of batches of summer sausage over the years, but always seem to have issues with the final product. I always make it with wild game. After lurking here for some time I felt like I had gained enough information to figure out the issues I was having so I cobbled together a recipe and tried again. Thanks to all of you that post suggestions and help diagnose problems. I think I was making most of the mistakes, sometimes more than one per batch. For example, not grinding cold enough meat, having the wrong fat content, not mixing thoroughly enough and rushing the cook. I also had some equipment limitations, but that's no longer an issue. Here's the result. Couldn't be happier.
I started it in a dehydrator to dry at 140(I don't have the type of smoker that allows me to control humidity well), smoked at 140, then finished sous vide to 152.
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Very nice. Looks like great sausage to me.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Looks good to me. Did you do any fermentation?

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Looks good...glad you joined. Don't be afraid to ask, we'll help ya if we can.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Welcome to the Forum from ND. Nice looking sausage.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.