First Solo Fried Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChefTrinket

Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Hey y'all!

Merry Christmas and Blessed Yule!

It's been a month since my dad passed, and we're starting to get back into the groove, and I made some dinners I was proud of. This Fried Chicken which was SOOOO nice and crispy, and porkchops with caramelized onions.

But this fried chicken y'all.

I marinated 9 bone-in chicken thighs it in 2 cups of buttermilk, 1 tbsp Choula Hot Sauce (it's what I grabbed first, anything will due or can be omitted), 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper, 1tsp salt, and used my dad's vacuum tumbler to speed up the marinade for today(2 - 30 minute rounds). You can marinade overnight or at least 6hrs in the refrigerator in/on a pan or bowl on bottom of fridge(leaks of chicken juice is icky and breeding ground for bacteria like crazy. Prevention.).
I took it from the buttermilk and dredged every wet spot in a breading consisting of:
3c AP Flour
2tbsp season salt
2tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1tbsp paprika
1tsp dry thyme
1tsp dry oregano
1tsp dry parsley
(all dry herbs rubbed between palms into mix before going into spice mix)
MIX ALL TOGETHER and dredge dredge dredge lol

Fried in a cast iron pan around 350-375 degrees, in melted Cisco. Because Minnie told me there's nothing better for fried chicken (fans of The Help understanding lol)

Sides were doctored up canned Collard Greens, store brand French fries fried in the skillet, and Oreida onion rings fried in the skillet also (very close to Burger King onion rings).

Here's some pics, I think I'm a fancy photographer, so enjoy my being extra!

ChefTrinket

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_212103296.jpg
    IMG_20211223_212103296.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20211223_201202919.jpg
    IMG_20211223_201202919.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211223_201117491.jpg
    IMG_20211223_201117491.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20211223_212117367.jpg
    IMG_20211223_212117367.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20211223_212117367.jpg
    IMG_20211223_212117367.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 67
I LOVE fried chicken lol like an addiction LOL... I do KFC 3 piece box with fries and coleslaw every sat for work and eat the other breast the next night lol... With the price of burgers I just can't pay 7.29 for a single quarter pound burger I don't care how great their fries are at the other place.

Reactions: ChefTrinket
Like the others I like me some fried chicken and that looks outstanding. Glad the groove is returning and hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas

Sorry to hear about your dad and it can sure make the holidays tuff.
Glad you're getting back and man that chicken looks crispy !
Have never tried frying it myself but I can smell on the stove at momma's now !

Keith

Absolutely beautiful Amanda. As with so many others, there's not much in this world better than good fried chicken.

Again, apologies for the miscommunication between us but next time you're planning a special event please let me know. I have something special I was planning to share with your father for Christmas dinner but with the mix up it never happened. Still sitting there happily awaiting your beck and call young lady :emoji_wink:

Robert

That chicken looks delicious! Glad to see you posting! Wish you all a late merry Christmas and a happy new year!
We had chicken and dumpling soup at my wife's dad's on Christmas eve... my only question... do you think the bay leaves should have been put in there? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Your Daddy was smiling down on you throughout the whole cook, Amanda.
The chicken looks amazing, next time if you have the time marinade 1/4'' slices of sweet onions in buttermilk overnight then dredge in the same flour mixture that you used on the chicken....you will love it.

Here's to a Happy New Year for your entire family.

God Bless.
Dan

The only thing better than Crisco for frying things in is real lard.
Out here in little Mexico/California, we have more Mexican stores than American stores, so freshly rendered lard is readily available at all times. I use my flat bottom Dutch over for frying, so I don't have to worry about hot oil bubbling over and catching fire.

Always have a lid that covers the pan or an old bath towel handy when frying anything in a skillet or Dutch oven. I almost burned down my mother's kitchen years ago while frying fish in a C.I. skillet, OOP's !!!:emoji_joy:
It bubbled over and hit the flame......no good and what a mess to clean up.

I poured a big box of baking soda on it, which was my first instinct, I should've just covered it with a big towel...live and learn is my motto in life.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_thumbsup:

The only thing better than Crisco for frying things in is real lard.
Out here in little Mexico/California, we have more Mexican stores than American stores, so freshly rendered lard is readily available at all times. I use my flat bottom Dutch over for frying, so I don't have to worry about hot oil bubbling over and catching fire.

Always have a lid that covers the pan or an old bath towel handy when frying anything in a skillet or Dutch oven. I almost burned down my mother's kitchen years ago while frying fish in a C.I. skillet, OOP's !!!:emoji_joy:
It bubbled over and hit the flame......no good and what a mess to clean up.

I poured a big box of baking soda on it, which was my first instinct, I should've just covered it with a big towel...live and learn is my motto in life.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_thumbsup:

If we had lard in the fridge, I'd be all over it for fryin that chicken! I do know next time to do it in my Dutch oven instead bc of how shallow it ended up, but I do also have a 17in cast iron I was looking to used, but didn't have the chance 😂

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky