First Smoking in my Craigslist Brinkmann with Q-View (Cornish Game Hens)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pintobean

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Frankfort, IL
Well, I have been smoking on my weber smokey joe for quite a while, and after spending a lot of time in KC for work, I started looking for a decent horizontal smoker. I found an older Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe (thicker and heavier duty than the new ones I was looking at in the store) in good shape. I cleaned it up, oiled it down inside and out, and seasoned it the other night. I had two game hens in the freezer so I decided to give them a go. I brined them for two hours in a gallon of water, 2/3 cup salt, 2/3 cup brown sugar, some cayenne, and a cup of apple cider vinegar. After that, I dried them off, brushed them with olive oil, and rubbed them with some poultry rub. Got the smoker up to 300F using apple chunks and lump charcoal, and put my birds in. Here are the results "Q-View". My only complaint was rubbery skin. I held at 300F the majority of the time, then 350F the last 20 min, and still had rubbery skin.

Starting off

Smoking away

At 140F, I flipped them, brushed them with oil again, an applied more rub

Finished @ 165F (exactly 2.5 hours)

"Money Shot" as some people affectionately call it on this forum :)

Looking forward to smoking some more stuff. Overall, the smoker temp was very easy to control, and remained steady the entire process. Very happy with my $80 purchase!

Great looking birds and a great find on the horizontal!  
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky