First Smoking...Beef Ribs (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghostred7

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
After reading through the 5-day course and numerous threads on here, I got brave today and started smoking beef ribs for dinner tonight.

I made my own dry rub consisting of brown sugar, black/white/cayenne peppers, garlic, and paprika on top of the mustard smear to keep it on there and placed the ribs on a rack. 

Temp @ ~240/245 (although it crept up on me in the 1st hour to 300....didn't stay there long...as soon as I saw it up there, I removed enough charcoal to keep it around the 240 mark.  I'd of preferred it to be a little lower, but this isn't the end of the world (hopefully).  I started them at 130p.  I'm at the 2.5h mark, but my camera decided to die on me....once it's charged, i'll give the updated 3h mark pic.  Also been spritzing w/ apple juice @ the hr marks.

6027544f_101_0395.jpg

59c45489_101_0394.jpg

This is at the 3hr mark with internal temp between the bones @ ~160*

f04b2d80_17503a95.jpg

Last edited:
Thx for the feedback!!!

The thinner rack hit 172* and I pulled it, wrapped it in foil, and is resting in a very thick towel/blanket combination (no cooler :-(   )

Hoping the other one will be ready soon since the heat is distro'd only to it now...it's still hovering ~160* (plateau?).  Another 15m makes it the 4h mark. 

Will take more pix @ cutting time :-D

Looks good!

Most of us just go by time on ribs. Temp probes don't usually mean much in ribs, due to the bones.

Bear

OK.  Here's the feedback I have/received.

1.  I didn't get as much of the membrane off as I thought I did.

2.  My rub was too thick and had too much sugar base.

3.  Got told too much smoke....but that's subjective b/c I liked the amt of smoke (wife didn't).

Otherwise, mostly tender, just not fall off the bone (straight, not the 3-2-1 method).  Anyhoo....here's the final product...

1d8f5e7d_fa7fef66.jpg

Dang Good for your first smoke!!!

My Mrs probably likes less smoke than yours does!

It just gets better,

Bear

Pretty brave choice for a first smoke, and it came out well.  Actually, I don't worry about the membrane as much on beef ribs as I do on pork.  Simply slip a steak knife under the membrane after cooking and the meat will fall off the bone.  At least for those that don't like the hands on eating style.  I like hands on for pork, but if I eat beef ribs hands on it makes a mess of my mustache.  LOL

Good luck and good smoking.

Pretty brave choice for a first smoke, and it came out well.  Actually, I don't worry about the membrane as much on beef ribs as I do on pork.  Simply slip a steak knife under the membrane after cooking and the meat will fall off the bone.  At least for those that don't like the hands on eating style.  I like hands on for pork, but if I eat beef ribs hands on it makes a mess of my mustache.  LOL

Good luck and good smoking.
Flavor Saver !   
roflmao.gif

OK.  Here's the feedback I have/received.

1.  I didn't get as much of the membrane off as I thought I did.

2.  My rub was too thick and had too much sugar base.

3.  Got told too much smoke....but that's subjective b/c I liked the amt of smoke (wife didn't).

Otherwise, mostly tender, just not fall off the bone (straight, not the 3-2-1 method).  Anyhoo....here's the final product...

1d8f5e7d_fa7fef66.jpg

I never do beefies more than 4 1/2 hours, but I do wrap them in foil via a 3-2-1 modified. No they do not fall off the bone but are quite juicy and as long as the wife likes them, I did good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky