First smokes turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaymerkramer

Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
St. Peters Mo.
Tried my first Turkey in the Mastebuilt today, turned out great. I kept it simple and just injected with some Stubbs and rubbed down with some butter and Durkee beer can chicken spices. Local supermarket had fresh birds clearance for .60 a pound so I couldn't resist a 13 pound for under $9.00. We made some fries and onion rings with it to be different. Turned out really juicy and great flavor. Smoked at around 275 for 4.5 hours. Used a mixture of sassafras, cherry and hickory wood chips.

Last edited:
I am thinking of trying a ham for Christmas, I haven't tried one yet and I love ham. My wife doesn't like ham so I will probably throw on a chicken for her. What is the best type of ham to get get for the smoker? It looks like most of them are preflavored or already smoked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky