First smoked Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phil129

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Smoked my first Tri Tip tonight with great success.  The only change I feel it needs would be a bit more seasoning for my and my wife's tatse but all in all not too bad.  On to the details.  Smoked on the MES 30 electric at 230-240 for about 2 1/2 hours with a mix of hickory, oak and apple.  Got an IT of 130 where it was pulled and put in foil to rest and then sliced to enjoy.  Didn't get a lot of Qview just the one that matters, the finished product.

That looks perfect!!!  Tri Tip is turning into my favorite meat, I'd have that over Prime-

I use Jeff's rub on mine, but with only 1/4 of the sugar it calls for. Don't like the sweet taste it imparts otherwise. Still enough to give it a nice crust.

Happy smoking!!

Mbogo

Excellent looking tri tip and I love the color on it!  Glad that you pulled it at 130 IT.....almost nothing makes me sadder than seeing a good cut of meat get ruined by overcooking. 
icon_cry.gif

Looks like you got the weekend off to a great start! 

Clarissa

I have 2 tri's thawing as we speak here.  Not sure which way I am going to cook them tonight.  Smoker vs Weber.......here at work so I can't play with the toys at home yet.

Kat

Thanks for the compliments everyone, left overs were fantastic. 
Excellent looking tri tip and I love the color on it!  Glad that you pulled it at 130 IT.....almost nothing makes me sadder than seeing a good cut of meat get ruined by overcooking. 
icon_cry.gif

Looks like you got the weekend off to a great start! 

Clarissa
Couldn't agree with you more

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky