First smoked pork butts

Discussion in 'Pork' started by rick83, Mar 21, 2014.

1. rick83

rick83 Fire Starter

Got them rubbed down last night and let them hang out in the fridge. Just put them on with some hickory and apple mix around 220. Rub was a mixture i put together of paprika, cayenne, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder and a little seasoning salt. My plan is to smoke for about 6 hours or so till maybe 140° then finishing
    in an oven at 200° till IT of 200-210. Not sure if i'm going to wrap in foil in the oven yet.

2. rick83

rick83 Fire Starter

There was also some brown sugar in my rub

3. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

I pull mine at 190-195 and have not had a problem pulling so far. In my mind it does not dry out as much.

4. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I would go ahead and cover with foil before putting in oven.  Save those juices!

Mike

5. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

:yeahthat: If ya gonna do it like that, no prob but keep them juices... Like Mike said !! :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. demosthenes9

demosthenes9 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Only use target finishing temps as a guide.   Poke the meat and check to see if the bone slides out easily.  If so, it's done.

7. rick83

rick83 Fire Starter

IT is about 170° right now. Probably will go to 195°

8. Looking good rick. Are you planning on using any finishing sauce? I am a newer smoker and tried it last time for the first time and it was awesome.

9. rick83

rick83 Fire Starter

Ok, the finished product before i pulled it. They turned out great with a nice smoke ring. I did wrap foil around the pan when they were in the oven

10. Excellent smoke ring. Looks tasty to me.