First smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
Ok well here we go. I seasoned my spanking brand new Camp Chef's 24 propane smoker (thanks Debi!) and last night sprinkled some rub on a rack of baby backs. Threw some chunks of hickory and apple on the wood tray and some water in the pan, heated it to 225 and put the ribs in. The've been going for about 30 mins now and the temp is pretty much a constant 225, maybe sliding up to 235 as the wind blows by.
I smell a great hickkory scent but I don't see any smoke coming out of the smoker. Anything I should be doing different? I'm using big chunks, fist sized and they were soaked for several hours.
2ec714db_vbattach12888.jpg

ee98284e_vbattach12887.jpg

Looks good! I always get my smoker up to 225 degrees and wait for the smoke before I place the meat on the grates. How long is determined on how soaked the wood is....mine usually takes 30-45 minutes. I'm thinking about getting that same smoker my self. We'll be waiting for the results!

Ok thanks, I was just impatient I'm seeing the smoke now, it's very faint and light, I tried to take a picture of it but I don't see it on the image. Thanks.

Time to get back to making those baked beans.

Ron -

Looks good so far. When it's thin and blue it's hard to see unless you have a dark background. If your smelling it so are there ribs!

If you want to see more smoke crank it up to med-high for a few minutes with the door open and watch. Don't worry it'll come back up to temps in about a minute after you close the door. Just`want to make sure the wood doesn't catch fire.

The smoke is just about invisible I can;t really say it's thin or blue but it's certainly not black and billowy which I guess is good. I'm having a hard time maintaining 225. Even on low it creeps up to 245 and the fact that to get it lower I have to go past high to the warm setting doesn;t make much sense in layout design, lol.

Am I right in thinking that closing down the side dampers gives it less oxygen and therefore lowers the temp and opening the top damper wider lowers the temp?

Ron

Ok now I'm very psyched , the smoke is blue!

Sorry that I'm babbling like a little kid with his new toy.

Ok, its done. My first successful smoke! I have to say it was a lot of fun and paying attention here, listening and absorbing all your collective knowledge made you guys all responsible for the success. i wish I could share the food with you all but you'll have to settle for the Q view.

Thanks to Dutch for his great Wicked Beans recipe and to BubbaBBQ for the cole slaw recipe. Both were yummy and went well with the ribs, corn on the cob and cornbread.

Thanks again.
f62adda8_vbattach12901.jpg

91dadfca_vbattach12898.jpg

c2ab92b7_vbattach12899.jpg

7214a4ee_vbattach12900.jpg

03f481b8_vbattach12897.jpg

ROn, are those BBs or St. Louis spares? They look good. I bought the same smoker thanks to Debi. She had alot of good things to say about it. So, did the ribs get that good smokey flavor?

Billy:

Those are baby back ribs. They were very smoky, I used a mix of Hickory and Apple wood. Falling off the bone.

oh, I forgot to thank Debi again, I used the Kansas City #5 sauce from her book of sauces with a little extra ketchup and brown sugar. Very yumm.

I would recommend the smoker highly. A little tweaking getting jsut the right temp but otherwise it performed real well.

Wow Ron you did it man! Looks fantastic! WOOHOO! That Kansas city sauce is one of my favorites too. I love a tomatoe based sauce! I feel like my son just graduated again! WooHoo!

I leave my vents almost all the way open and my temps stay right on.

My guess is the reason you go from high to low is because the knob starts the fire and you always start on high first then tuen it down on gas stoves.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky