1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoke

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by Craig Ward, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

Hey guys

Former gasser here, just changed my broil King vertical smoker over from propane to charcoal. I'm looking to do my first smoke on it this weekend. I might be in over my head but I bought two 16lb packer brisket's. I plan on smoking them for 16 hours or so, the points anyways

Now my issue is I haven't been able to source a controller/fan unit, I'm in Canada and apparently no one here has heard of such thing. My question is how do you keep your temps dialed in for those long cooks? I know brisket's hate the swings so I'd like to avoid them at all cost. Any tips/tricks would be amazing

Craig

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Sorry I'm not a broil king user, but isn't 32 pounds of brisket kinda risky for the inaugural run? Best of luck and hopefully someone whose familiar with your smoker chimes in.

Chris

3. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Fireboard makes a great product. They have a fan controller as part of their wireless thermometer. Just add a fan and cable, all available from their site. There are other products out there that may be as good and may be more inexpensive, but my experience with Fireboard has been nothing less than outstanding.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck on the briskets.

4. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

I couldn't get a controller in time, I'll be ordering a pitmaster out of the states I think. I'm just going to go for it. I've done alot of reading and I'll just monitor temps and probably stay up all night watching it haha. I'll let you know how it goes

5. Hawging It

Hawging It Master of the Pit

Lot of meat. Hope it goes great!! Happy Easter!!

6. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

20190421_185426.jpg 20190421_202339.jpg

texomakid likes this.
  7. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

First pic was the first cut of the point.

Second was first cut of the flat.

Flat was sadly dry, not sure what happened.
    I wrapped at 160 with peach paper, left it on until 185 and rested it for 3 hours in a cooler.

I had a feeling I should of pulled it earlier, the probe was going in like butter but I was worried high 170's wasn't cooked enough

8. texomakid

texomakid Smoking Fanatic

I typically take a brisket to 203 (some say that's the golden number so what the heck I throw it out a lot) but the reality is 195 to 210 you should be good. Poke test is important as well. When it feels like your poking the thermometer in hot butter? it's done! As far as the flat? They're a challenge. I too struggle with flats but their are many here in this forum that have methods to cook a killer flat.

9. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

I guess I should say I seperate the point and flat before smoking, smoker isn't big enough for a whole brisket. Does cooking a brisket longer dry it out though? I pulled mine early to try and avoid the dry. Also, the drip pan was damn near dry...

10. gmc2003

What kind of smoker are you using?

Dry Brisket = usually under-cooked.
    Juicy Brisket = slices fold over your finger freely, and will break in half with just the slightest tug
    Over-cooked Brisket = crumbly texture

Just my observations.

Chris

11. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

I would have to say I'm underdone then. It's not crumbly at all. I have a Broil King Vertical

12. gmc2003

You can always prop up the middle of the brisket with a brick or empty soda can covered in aluminum foil to help the brisket fit into the smoker. After a short spell it should eventually shrink enough to be able to lie flat on the grates. If that doesn't quite get it to fit you can also trim a little of the flat.

Chris

13. Craig Ward

Craig Ward Fire Starter

I had to squeeze the flat in by itself, and the point fit nicely on the grate. Unfortunately the grates are only 12 x 15.