First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin monkey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sutton In Ashfield, UK
After I complete the build of my Smoker, what should a total novice smoke for a first attempt?

Look forward to all suggestions.

Smokin Monkey

Hello Steve.  I will assume you have seasoned your smoker and sealed every leak you can.  I always advise the same with this question.  Chicken leg quarters and maybe some burgers.  I know!  I know!  You have been reading for weeks, now have your smoker, you are ready to get started.  The neighbours’ cat is in danger of being smoked and this idiot says chicken legs and burgers?? 
wtf1.gif
  The first few smokes are about learning to control temps in YOUR smoker.  Each one can be different.  If that first smoke burns, the dog gets a good meal.  If it ain’t done, finish it in the oven.  Little money lost and with luck you still get a good meal.  TEMP CONTROL!! IS THE KEY!!  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Thanks Danny for the advice. Will look at doing chicken then to start off with.

Don't think temperature control will be a big problem as I am looking at fitting two PID one to control the cabinet temperature and the other to measure/control the meat temperature.

Still waiting for PID's to arrive, picked up a nice stainless steel chimney today complete with damper and cowl! for £20.00. Next thing is to get it welded in place!

Will keep posting photos as and when I have them.

Smokin Monkey

I did a rack of spare ribs for my first smoke which was back in June - but I had done a lot of research and reading here on the forums and felt like I could probably do it - and it turned out great. Matter of fact spare ribs is all I had done up until two weekends ago, when I did my first butt for pulled pork.

Can't wait to do it again - think next time I will do another butt and also couple racks of spares as well.

Hi dburne, thanks for the feedback. Looking at trying a piece of Turkey breast I have in the freezer, along with some chicken.

You never said how your Pork Butt turned out?

Smokin Monkey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky