First smoke upcoming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What should I smoke first

• Pork tenderloin

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Pork loin back ribs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 1/2 Pork butt

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JAEBR29

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
Went to the store and have some different options to go with for the first smoking.

Brand new user to a wsm. It's used and already broken in but I have zero experience smoking and want something easy. I'll need to freeze the rest of the meat that I don't smoke.

Once I decide, I'll look up ideas on seasoning and possibly marinades and probably reach out to you guys for that as well. I'm leaning towards the tenderloin, but if one of the others is a lot easier to gain experience on, if rather go that route.

Thanks for your help!

The tenderloin would be ideal for the first smoke.
Take it to an internal temp of 140-145 degrees.

Chicken quarters would be another option for a first smoke as they are more forgiving.

Lots of good recipes and techniques here on SMF either way.

Tenderloin is a nice easy smoke and doesn’t take very long. If you want a little longer of a smoke but still something easy I say go with the pork butt. They are pretty forgiving if the temperatures get away from you. Whatever you choose, good luck with it. Post some pics, we love to see the Q view!

I say the pork butt because they are pretty hard to mess up as they are very forgiving. You can cook it at anywhere from 225-300+. To speed things up, wrap with foil once the meat gets to about 160 or so. Pull it off the cooker at an IT of 195-205, or once it’s probe tender. All kinds of rub and/or injections you can use that will all work great.

If you do decide to go for the pork butt, smoke the whole thing.
That way, when you're jonesing for some Q, you got some frozen (preferably vacuum sealed) PP left overs.
Check out chef jimmyj, SoFlaQuers, or bearcarvers finishing sauces.

I vote for pork butt, and do the whole thing. Super forgiving as people said and you can repurpose left over pulled pork for all sorts of good meals :)

Thanks everyone. The pork butt I have is only a 4 pounder, so that's what I meant by half.
Turns out I have a program to take the kids to Saturday early afternoon. So a short smoke and tenderloin it is. Thanks guys. Looking forward to chatting my teeth on this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky