First smoke on Mini WSM - Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texastiger

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Plano, TX
A week ago I built and seasoned my mini WSM. Today here in the D/FW area, since we were iced in anyway, I figured it would be a good day to smoke some baby back ribs. I had some rub I got from Joe's Barbecue in Alvin, TX, a while back, so I tried that. For the heat I used plain old blue-bag charcoal briquettes, and for the smoke I used chunks of hickory. It was cold and windy but the Mini WSM held 225 pretty steady for the 5-hour cook. In the past I have done the 3-2-1 method. But today, since it was so cold and windy, I decided to keep the little smoker closed throughout the cook.

Here's the smoker, cooling down after the finishing the job...

Here's the product after resting a half-hour...

And here's what went to the table. They were fit to eat. Joe's rub worked out well.

Great looking ribs! The mini does a great job in cold weather. As I type it's -16 in my neck of the woods and I wouldn't hesitate firing up the mini and smoking with it. I have two of the mini's and I wouldn't trade them for any other smoker !

Last edited:
Reactions: texastiger
Thanks guys! I was really pleased with the mini's first smoke. Like others have observed, it was really efficient on the fuel burn. I can tell it's going to get a lot of use.

Thanks again for the compliments guys! I'm new to the forum and appreciate the encouragement!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky