First smoke in the repaired MES - Smoked and Grilled Cornish Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Got the repaired/replaced MES seasoned up last night and decided we'd have smoked and grilled Cornish Hens.

I used Chef Jimmy's Poultry Brine and Chix Bubba Q Rub. Thanks JJ for two outstanding recipes for chicken. 
icon14.gif

Brined them for 3 hrs, then rubbed down. Set the MES at 275*, using JD Whiskey Oak Barrel Chips and Cherry Pellets for 2 hrs then onto hot grill to crisp the skin and add barbecue sauce and an internal temp of 165*. They were tender and juicy. Loved the brine and the rub.

Served with dressed up Bush's Maple Bacon Beans (I added fried smoked pork jowl and some burnt ends from my last brisket along with onions, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc) and Ginger Ale, Brown Sugar and Butter Glazed Carrots. 

You can find both recipes here: 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121378/pit-chicken-aka-roadside-chicken-for-you-west-coast-guys

Sorry the pics aren't the best...we were dying to eat and I'm a happy lady to have my smoker working again!

Thanks for looking!

Those look awesome Alesia.  Congrats on getting the smoker back up and running 

Looks good. Thumbs Up
JJ's brine is great!
Haven't try his rub yet. Will have to try it soon.

Alesia glad to see you back up and smoking. Sure looks like you didn't miss a beat!!! I've been using Tips brine for years...i have to give JJ's a try with recommendation like that!!!
icon14.gif

Thank you! I used Tip's brine on my turkey last year and it's outstanding as well. I've been using an Alton Brown recipe on my Cornish Hens but wanted to try something different, JJ's was great for throwing them on the grill and adding bbq sauce.
Alesia glad to see you back up and smoking. Sure looks like you didn't miss a beat!!! I've been using Tips brine for years...i have to give JJ's a try with recommendation like that!!!
icon14.gif
Thank you! Never thought of deep frying them. BF isn't a huge whole chicken fan but he really likes the Cornish Hens, especially done this way.
Looks great!  I've been meaning to try smoking some cornish hens.  I've done them in the Masterbuilt electric turkey fryer and they turned out great.  Will have to try smoking them soon!
Thank you! I didn't have a chicken rub made up, so figured since I had the ingredients for JJ's , why not try it. I used Ancho Chile instead of Chili Powder...awesome.
Looks good.
icon14.gif

JJ's brine is great!
Haven't try his rub yet. Will have to try it soon.
Oh my Dave, you have no idea!!!! I've got some great looking mushrooms and jalapenos to stuff and smoke today. Gonna have them for dinner then leftovers out hunting.
Does it feel good to get back in the smoke ??  I think it do.....
Thank you! It felt so good to smoke something again!
Those look awesome Alesia.  Congrats on getting the smoker back up and running 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky