First smoke in the new MB xl 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Hey gang,

Just got done seasoning the MB XL 40 and for a test run, I threw in a store bought precooked ring of polish kielbasa (I know! Nothing to write home about!!)

Here's my question: it's a breezy 37 degrees here in PA and my temps are holding steady at 225 with the burner fully cranked open. I didn't use any water in the pan since it will be a short smoke, shouldn't they be climbing higher? I'm just concerned in the future that a larger cut of meat like a pork butt will pull the temps down even lower??

What's everybody think? Is the low temp normal

Sorry I forgot some details, I'm new to the forum thing.

Temps have been steady on the door thermometer for over an hour. I'm using a cast iron skillet over the original chip tray with a mix of hickory and apple chunks and I'm getting some nice thin smoke. I know that the factory door thermometers are suspect at best, that is why I am going to pick up a Maverick first chance I get.

I actually just got this same exact smoker and did the seasoning in low 40 degree weather on friday and mine got up to almost 400...but im not sure if you mean you cant hold a temp or it wont go higher than that temp? But if yours wont get above 225 that seems weird, im new to this so maybe someone else could answer it for ya better.

My temp held steady at 225 with the burner set to high and the propane tank fully open. I just had a ring of kielbasa in there and no water pan/sand.

I was just curious if that is normal to hold such a low temp on the hi setting.

It was a little breezy and I haven't built a wind break for it....can I breezy day change the temps drastically?

You will be much happier and more confident once you get a Maverick setup. I would guess there is something wrong with the regulator. The main problem I have seen with those gassers is keeping the temps down. It seems a lot of folks add a needle valve to get better temp control. You may have gotten a bad regulator.

Im new to this but just purchased the same smoker and for the seasoning process i opened the propane all the way and had it on high and i hit like 375ish. It was probably low to mid 40s on friday when i did it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky