first smoke bearcarvers dried beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foxhunter59

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I followed bearcarvers instructions for cure. Prepared two eye of rounds that were over 3 lbs each, cut them in half for two inch max thickness so I didn't have to inject with cure (TQ). I ended up with 4 pieces of beef, I also prepared 4 deer roasts and a moose roast

Threw in a pizza after it was baked and smoked for 45 minutes, it was yummy. Also did a dozen boiled and peeled eggs and hickory smoked them for 2 hours when temp was below 130 and made deviled eggs, they were really good

Total time in the smoker was 12 hours, started at 100 for 2 hours, then 130 for 3 hours, then maintained 150 for 5 hours, stopped adding smoke. (hickory for the first half then cherry for the last half. I increased temp to 180 until I achieved 160 internal (about 2 hours)

7162b303_readytogo.jpg
45619986_pizza.jpg

edcb08fb_smoker.jpg

53bfd78e_driedbeef.jpg

2fc5b091_slicedandreadytoeat.jpg

I think I may have smoked too much or too long? The end product was a big hit with everyone

Thanks to everyone for all there help. Thanks to Dan from NY for your help on the smoker design and for feedback on the expanded metal basket etc. All the support makes this fun and delicious!

Cheers

Bob

The moose tastes fantastic but stronger smoke flavor came through and also seemed to hold more of the cure (a bit salty compared to the deer and beef) I am sure I measured correctly when adding the TQ but who knows. Some of us thought it has to do with the grain of the meat. Moose is not as fine grain as the beef and for sure not as fine as the deer. All tasted fantastic though

Thanks 2 Geaux,

Half of it was gone as of yesterday. When I brought the moose and deer to work they dove right in!

I am already wondering how soon I will have to run another batch, might be sooner than later but I also have other things to try. Too many choices never enough bacon...I mean time!

Bob

icon_cool.gif

The meat looks awesome but I really like that smoker.

ya, I saw Dans smoker on youtube (camo paint job and all) and happened to have the fridge in the basement of the acreage we bought in June. The fridge had already been stripped down of compressor and electrical so the conversion was easy. The design is pretty much identical to Dans but he did a nicer job on the camo paint. I love my redneck smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky