First Sausage & Peppers Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Well, I always wanted to try one of these...

Mild Italian sausage filled with diced green peppers, diced yellow onion and diced fresh garlic, all sautéed in EVOO, and provolone cheese. Then wrapped with a Better Than Good pecan smoked bacon weave and post oak and hickory smoked for 3-hours at 225-degrees to 160-degrees internal.

In the smoker:
IMG_1721.JPG

After 3-hours - 160-degrees internal:
IMG_1723.JPG

On the cutting board after a 30-minute rest:
IMG_1724.JPG

And first slices:
IMG_1725.jpg

While I think it turned out pretty good considering it is the first fattie I ever made, I wasn't real crazy with the taste - almost a little too mild and sweet like it could have used some chopped jalapenos or hot Italian sausage vs. the mild. Also, I think the bacon is just too thick for this technique - I would have liked it slightly crispy vs the soft texture of it.

Next time I will use hot Italian sausage and thin bacon and see if I like that better.

Sorry you wasn’t completely satisfied with it, but that being said… phenomenal looking fattie there! Sliced pic had me drooling!

Sorry you wasn’t completely satisfied with it, but that being said… phenomenal looking fattie there! Sliced pic had me drooling!
Thank you sir! I think it just needs something to kick it over the top.

Well, I always wanted to try one of these...

Mild Italian sausage filled with diced green peppers, diced yellow onion and diced fresh garlic, all sautéed in EVOO, and provolone cheese. Then wrapped with a Better Than Good pecan smoked bacon weave and post oak and hickory smoked for 3-hours at 225-degrees to 160-degrees internal.

In the smoker:
View attachment 662867

After 3-hours - 160-degrees internal:
View attachment 662868

On the cutting board after a 30-minute rest:
View attachment 662869

And first slices:
View attachment 662870

While I think it turned out pretty good considering it is the first fattie I ever made, I wasn't real crazy with the taste - almost a little too mild and sweet like it could have used some chopped jalapenos or hot Italian sausage vs. the mild. Also, I think the bacon is just too thick for this technique - I would have liked it slightly crispy vs the soft texture of it.

Next time I will use hot Italian sausage and thin bacon and see if I like that better.
looks fantastic sadly I only like Italian sausage in spaghetti lol.

RS, That is an excellent "first fattie" ! You will hone in on your favorite additives and have a fattie that hits the spot soon ! Nice weave !!!

It looks like a pro product! Sorry you weren’t happy with flavor, but that’s the fun of this hobby! Great weave!

looks fantastic sadly I only like Italian sausage in spaghetti lol.
You should try hickory smoking some hot Italian sausages - incredible!

RS, That is an excellent "first fattie" ! You will hone in on your favorite additives and have a fattie that hits the spot soon ! Nice weave !!!
Thank you sir! We'll see what happens next time.

It looks like a pro product! Sorry you weren’t happy with flavor, but that’s the fun of this hobby! Great weave!
Thank you sir! The weave was easier than I expected. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: bauchjw
I am in awe of the weave to start off with. And then the cut pics look absolutely perfect.
i’ve yet to try one. But I’d tear yours up!

Jim

Reactions: Retired Spook
Nice weave. Best part about it not being up to your taste, now you get to play with it and make it the perfect one for you!
Thank you sir! I'm going to nuke a slice tomorrow and put some Melinda's ghost pepper sauce on it - I am sure that will spark it up a little.

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky