first run on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camp_cookie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I posted a while back about buying a Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold off of Craig's List. I hadn't had a chance to use it until today. The wife went to the store and got a couple steaks. They were so big that one would have fed the both of us.

This grill had been kept outside and the grate was a little rusty, but everything else was fine. I scrubbed it some with a wire brush and then wiped it down good with some vegetable oil and scrubbed it again later and managed to clean the grate up somewhat, but I still didn't want to cook directly on it; so, I used a grill topper for the steaks.

I also cooked some taters. I nuked them in the microwave for 10 minutes and then sliced them up into the pan you will see in the pictures. I also cooked some in tinfoil. I poured olive oil with the taters and seasoned them.

The charcoal was from a bag of Kingsford that my mother bought for a cookout at church. I also used some soaked Jack Daniels barrel chips.

Here are the pictures:

Fantastic. Great pictures. Your post is swaying me to go back to grilling with charcoal. I remember as a kid delicious grilled food. Propane grilling doesn't seem to produce the special something you get from charcoal.

Maybe my mind is flavouring my memories.......

WOW looks great! Those tater browned up real nice too!

Excuse my stupidity but what's the silver thing on the bottom of the grill?

Ya know Kueh, I do think the charcoal has a slightly better flavor. There is somehing a little different besides an bit more smoke ring. I'm going to run the Smoke vault and the ECB some weekend and compare the two.

Ditto for me ....
icon_smile.gif

Ahhhhhhhhh thanks Dom. Almost looks like a chimney. Last time I had a weber they were just big bowls. That was 72-73?

Thanks for all of the kind words. The taters really soak up the flavor from the charcoal and from whatever meat you are cooking. They are crispy on the outside and very soft on the inside, and I usually dip them in a little barbecue sauce, preferably Tony Roma's Carolina Honey. If the taters break apart while cooking it's no big deal as they just get more crispy.

Mmmm Mmmm Good. Drooling now.....
icon_mrgreen.gif
Looks fantastic SmokeyBear. That was a great score from Criagslist
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Pics are very beautiful and looks delicious. The golden brown color looks awesome. Is it a pork or something else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky