First rotisserie run on the kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Spun a whole chicken on the rotisserie tonight, it was challenging to say the least. Made a low/no salt rub and applied it for an overnight ride in the fridge.
1-jpg.jpg

Skewered and getting ready for the spin. Used 2 baskets on either side of the rotisserie.
2-jpg.jpg

Had a bunch of temp control issues, was a very windy day. I choked out the fire and had to start more coals in the chimney.

I think my first mistake was burning the coals too long in the chimney. I let it burn until the flames went down and all the coals were white through out. Reading up on it, I should have poured the coals into the trays while the top ones are just starting to get white on the corners. That is probably why I was running out of coals and had to replenish and was having trouble getting above 250. The second mistake was choking down the vents too much and too fast. I need to learn to wait some time in between every adjustments and not make multiple at the same time.

Anyway at about 3.5 hours, it was looking like this.
3-jpg.jpg

Plate shot with broiled asparagus and some left over griddle cooked onions and peppers done on the Blackstone....of course had to use my favorite Caribbean hot sauce.

4-jpg.jpg

It was moist and good but needed more smoke flavor. I only went part way through 3 chunks of hickory. I am sure this from lack of fire management giving inconsistent temp to smolder the wood. I have some work to do on fire management that is for sure but I am enjoying this kettle.

Mods I think I have 2 identical posts going on this. Computer issues, can you combine or delete 1 of them?

Last edited:
Looks great for your first go! I’d say you pretty well nailed it despite the troubles! Awesome work!
yeah just going to need practice

$5-$6 chickens are great to practice on. It’s hard to really mess them up since they self baste and are very forgiving. Looks like a tasty meal.
Thanks and you are right. I almost did an entire tri tip Sunday brisket style, now I think I will wait a bit.

Nice turnout despite the issues! I am sure you’ll get it dialed in the next cook or two! 👍🏼

Thanks

Looks like a win to me. Wind is always a problem i think.

Thanks, the wind seems to really kicked up here in the past few years, makes for a tough time on the smoker. Unlike my electric with pellets, I will not put the weber with open flame on my porch close to the house.

you do some good looking cooking dude !

I try, thanks.

Man that explains the deja-vu feeling. I could have sworn I'd already replied to this thread.

Chris

Yeah my laptop was giving me fits so I moved to the desk top and they both got posted...lol I need a beer pole near my smoker!

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky