First Ribs - any suggested techniques?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
321 and 221 are common methods. I have used both with good results.

BUT: I now much prefer them cooked at 250 straight through no wrap, no spritz, no fuss to temp at about 195. Sometimes do the bend test, but less of ten these days. Rarely sauce while cooking, I like to sauce on the plate or dip as desired.

If you are having trouble getting a good temp reading on ribs there is a fall back, in order: look for meat pull back off the bone ends, test with a toothpick easy in and out, and finally if you pick up the rack by grabbing the first third of it with tongs it should bend down a bunch and the meat across the bend should show a split or crack. The bend break is usually the final stage to indicate it's time to sauce with another 15-20 min to let it set before pulling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky