First Pork Shoulder in MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BarbarianFoodie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2020
N.E. SD
Hey ya'll,
Got a free MES to play with not sure the #. I did a dry run yesterday and decided to try it with some pulled pork, so here it is. KIMG1907.JPG
Just so you can see what I'm working with
KIMG1908.JPG
Scored the shoulder, dry rubbed and placed it in the fridge overnight, preheated the smoker for a hour and got it in by 8:00. Smoking it up with both maple chips and mixed hardwood pellets in a Amazin tube smoker
KIMG1909.JPG
Temps holding pretty steady on the maverick thermometer at 10:15 trying to maintain at 235° Top left is probe placed behind the meat right next to the factory masterbuilt sensor for comparison. Guess I lucked out this one seems pretty close. Top right is internal temp on shoulder, bottom left is probe on shelf above the shoulder, and bottom right is on shelf below the shoulder.
KIMG1910.JPG
Just a peek at 11:30
KIMG1911.JPG
Hit the stall around 3:00 at 170° so I decided to foil with some rub, a glug or 4 of whiskey and some cherry dr pepper(it's what I was drinking at the time lol)
KIMG1912.JPG
In the pan ready to foil
KIMG1914.JPG
So she hit 205° at 5:00, I turned the smoker down to 100° and let it be till 6:00, there really wasn't any coasting to speak surprisingly enough. The bone slid right out like it should
KIMG1915.JPG
Lots of liquid gold to skim the fat off of for when we reheat leftovers tomorrow
KIMG1919.JPG
Super tender and moist, good smoke ring... I like the bark better when I don't foil but the rest of the family likes it this way
KIMG1918.JPG
Shredded up and ready for supper!
All in all, I totally different beast smoking with one of these vs my old homemade offset.
Lots more moisture inside, don't have to worry about it overheating for sure lol.
Hope you all enjoy the pics!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky