First Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hmmmm, Must be some Awesome "Eating", by now going on here!!

Bear
Yes, rested for one hour in cooler, took off enough for some toasted pulled pork sandwiches to eat with my tuscan white bean soup. It was delicious, no sauce needed. After dinner I pulled the rest and into refrigerator.

Bearcarver Bearcarver thanks for the step by step. I didn't follow the directions to a tee but they gave me a framework to work with helped me judge what to do next. I appreciate your effort.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Just to complete this adventure, I took a picture when the butt came out of the smoker.
PXL_20220123_033346531.jpg

Just to complete this adventure, I took a picture when the butt came out of the smoker.View attachment 523135
Looks great!!!

Now that you have this one under your belt, check out this read on how I completely up'ed my pork butt game. Took it from great to "out of this world" simply by making a "butterfly" cut o the meat side (not fat side) and seasoning in there and kind spreading it open when I set it on the rack.
Drastically increased bark, seasoning flavor deep inside, and smoke flavor deep inside. Never needed to add any finishing seasoning or sauce ever again. No bland middle of pork butt meat, and every bite has bark in it. All from the 1 change to where I was on my journey of making pork butts!!!!
(I also do them unwrapped the whole time and that was a major improvement before this improvement came along)
full?d=1562194172.jpg

Thanks, That's a great idea. You could also do this to a chuck roast?
Not sure. If its like a full chuck roast (not cut into smaller flat roasts) maybe.

The only chucks I see around here are no thicker than about 3 inches are are flat. I wouldn't do it with those. Chucks can dry out on ya too. I smoke my chucks unwrapped to about an IT of 180F maybe a little higher and then wrap tightly in foil with about 2oz of a liquid so it won't have a chance to dry out. 180F gives it great bbq beef smoke flavor.
If you wrap beef to early you just end up with oven roast beef flavor.

Also I do my chucks for shredded/chopped beef so at least that part is similar.

Wow! What a great finish! Awesome job! Those pork butts are great confidence builders and they taste great. Win, Win! You know its done when that blade bone just slips out. Cant wait to see more!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky