First Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I planned on starting earlier, I had to drive wife to her office. She is moving office locations and couldn't keep her car at either place during the move.
With your PID electric smoker u can start in the evening and wakeup in the morning when wireless thermometer alarms tell u to check for tenderness. Enjoy being able to not have to babysit the smoker especially on a long smoke like a pork butt :D

Reactions: Nefarious
I'm going to push the data to the cloud so i could start the smoke and then drive her while smoking and still be able to monitor the progress and control the smoke. It won't be all done immediately.

At least you got started?
Smoke wood?
At stall point in my Big Chief, I would foil pan, cover tightly and move to kitchen oven to finish at 300°
Thats the plan. This is the last cook before I begin a few mods, first is a mailbox, followed by a modified almost PID setup. Then everything will be easier.
Did you convert your gasser to electric?

At least you got started?
Smoke wood?
At stall point in my Big Chief, I would foil pan, cover tightly and move to kitchen oven to finish at 300°
Did you convert your gasser to electric?
I am smoking with hickory.

No, i have a gas solenoid, I will eventually connect to natural gas, and can control it with a microcontroller device.

I'm going to push the data to the cloud so i could start the smoke and then drive her while smoking and still be able to monitor the progress and control the smoke. It won't be all done immediately.

Just be careful of pellet flare ups. If you arent around and the pellets flame up then that could be bad if something can burn down. I still get pellet flame ups to this day if a big gust of wind comes through or sometimes it seems at random.
It's not often but it's often enough for me to never be within running distance of the smoker to handle a bad situation :)

Just some real food for thought :)

I get it, I have a gas smoker, soon will be natural gas, and I figure for something like a butt or even a brisket, I can operate it at a lower temp in the beginning for a short time. Really not sure the circumstance will ever come up again, but I just like the idea of pushing the cook data to the cloud.

And because I have a microcontroller that is operating the solenoid, it is a straight forward operation to just close the valve. It is closed be default anyway.

It seems like things are on the other side of the stall. The past hour there has been an increase of 7*.

So projecting, say I need to get to 202 and is now at 172, which is 30 degrees. Say we get to 8* per hour then we need almost 4 hours to get to tenderness. It's almost 7pm, so we hit target at 11pm.

Is it better to move inside to oven, there is no longer any smoke, or leave it on the smoker. Inside I could raise the temp, outside I drink more Green Spot irish whiskey.

It seems like things are on the other side of the stall. The past hour there has been an increase of 7*.

So projecting, say I need to get to 202 and is now at 172, which is 30 degrees. Say we get to 8* per hour then we need almost 4 hours to get to tenderness. It's almost 7pm, so we hit target at 11pm.

Is it better to move inside to oven, there is no longer any smoke, or leave it on the smoker. Inside I could raise the temp, outside I drink more Green Spot irish whiskey.
Nothing wrong with finishing in the oven after you are done putting smoke to it

If u dont mind inside smelling smoking then u can move it inside.
No smoke rolling so u are just doing oven cooking but outside now anyhow :D

Since I am drinking wine now, tomorrow will be a problem, it is easier inside. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm moving inside.
Good choice
Place back in the foil pan and cover tightly with plastic wrap then foil over the top. Seals in the smoke and moisture.

I've never followed liquor with wine.
Is that the same as liquor before beer, you're in the clear?

I've never followed liquor with wine.
Is that the same as liquor before beer, you're in the clear?
I think that depends on several things, how much of each has been consumed, how much recent experience one has, and how many years you have been doing it. Not all are positive indicators.

Into oven at IT 176°, some of it stuck to the grate, pulled it off and into mouth, after the butt was in the oven, and it was tender, moist an delicious. I'm sold, however long it takes.

Reactions: bauchjw and DougE
Into oven at IT 176°, some of it stuck to the grate, pulled it off and into mouth, after the butt was in the oven, and it was tender, moist an delicious. I'm sold, however long it takes.
Straight onto the oven grate? The bottom of your oven will be a mess, no?

Ok, I should have assumed that there is a pan under it. Once again I opened my trap before thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky