First Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
It seems like it will be great weather in the PNW tomorrow, and for the entire week it seems. I found a sale on butt's for $1.99/lb at the local market actually it was buy one and get one free. I froze on and am going to smoke the other, it is 8lbs, in the morning using one of Bearcarver Bearcarver Step by Step, the 265* one to be specific.

It is in the garage fridge, with plastic over the pan, until tomorrow morning. I spiced it simply with sPOG after I used mustard as the binder.

PXL_20220121_201750294.jpg

The other side was scored to expose some of the meat, and was spiced the same as the top.

Will report back tomorrow as I progress.

I'm in
It seems like it will be great weather in the PNW tomorrow, and for the entire week it seems. I found a sale on butt's for $1.99/lb at the local market actually it was buy one and get one free. I froze on and am going to smoke the other,
Will report back tomorrow as I progress.
Any day where the sun shines in a PNW winter is a winner.

Bet the other one won't be frozen too long.

Reactions: Nefarious
Bet the other one won't be frozen too long.
The smoker needs to have some modes done and I expect the parts to all be here on Monday. So having the good weather is also a good time to work on it.

Add to that, we are only two people and can we eat pulled pork that many days in a row. I will make some chili with it, I will make some tacos with it, and still have half left. Maybe I'll invite the neighbors :emoji_laughing:.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
The smoker needs to have some modes done and I expect the parts to all be here on Monday. So having the good weather is also a good time to work on it.

Add to that, we are only two people and can we eat pulled pork that many days in a row. I will make some chili with it, I will make some tacos with it, and still have half left. Maybe I'll invite the neighbors :emoji_laughing:.

That Pulled Pork Freezes Great too!!
Is it done yet?

Bear

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Slight update, i got started late, into smoker at.9:45. Nothing I could do to start earlier. Anyway.

Been smoking for 7 hours, and looks good. It is in the stall, for the past 2 hours it has gone up a degree every quarter hour. Not sure how long it will take, but the whiskey is good.

Only thing that sucks about having one finish late is that it definitely needs a cooler rest once done, and it needs to be pulled after the rest. Can make for a long night.

Reactions: Nefarious
Slight update, i got started late, into smoker at.9:45. Nothing I could do to start earlier. Anyway.

Been smoking for 7 hours, and looks good. It is in the stall, for the past 2 hours it has gone up a degree every quarter hour. Not sure how long it will take, but the whiskey is good.
I'm in to see how it comes out.
Remember pork but will be done when it is tender never by time or temp. It finishes when it is ready lol.

You will learn a lot from this smoke and will improve the next pork but which is sitting in the freezer :)

I planned on starting earlier, I had to drive wife to her office. She is moving office locations and couldn't keep her car at either place during the move.

You will learn a lot from this smoke and will improve the next pork but which is sitting in the freezer :)
Thats the plan. This is the last cook before I begin a few mods, first is a mailbox, followed by a modified almost PID setup. Then everything will be easier.

Reactions: IH 1026
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky