First pork butt on the Smokin-It Model 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PulledPorkSandwich

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
North Texas
I calibrated my new Smokin-It Model 2 earlier this week by cooking a slab of spare ribs. Tonight, I'm going for my first long smoke with a Boston Butt. I dry-brined the butt in the refrigerator for 3 days at right around 34 degrees and noted that there was almost no visible Kosher salt on the surface of the meat when I pulled it out of the refrigerator. Here is a picture of the butt when it came out of the refrigerator after dry brining:

Pork out of refrigerator and moistened.jpg

I coated the entire surface of the butt with a small amount of water and then applied Meathead's Memphis Dust (less brown and white sugar and ginger, plus hot hatch chile powder). Once I applied the rub, I put it into the smoker with an internal temperature monitor inserted. Here is a picture of the butt after putting it in the smoker.

Pork in smoker.jpg

I started the smoke at 8:40 p.m. tonight and I'm targeting it being done around 4:00 - 5:00 pm tomorrow. This would be consistent with my recent experience with cooking times. In any event, I plan to pull it off and wrap it when the IT reaches 203. I'm using apple wood.

I'll post updates and more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

I calibrated my new Smokin-It Model 2 earlier this week by cooking a slab of spare ribs. Tonight, I'm going for my first long smoke with a Boston Butt. I dry-brined the butt in the refrigerator for 3 days at right around 34 degrees and noted that there was almost no visible Kosher salt on the surface of the meat when I pulled it out of the refrigerator. Here is a picture of the butt when it came out of the refrigerator after dry brining:

View attachment 455675

I coated the entire surface of the butt with a small amount of water and then applied Meathead's Memphis Dust (less brown and white sugar and ginger, plus hot hatch chile powder). Once I applied the rub, I put it into the smoker with an internal temperature monitor inserted. Here is a picture of the butt after putting it in the smoker.

View attachment 455676

I started the smoke at 8:40 p.m. tonight and I'm targeting it being done around 4:00 - 5:00 pm tomorrow. This would be consistent with my recent experience with cooking times. In any event, I plan to pull it off and wrap it when the IT reaches 203. I'm using apple wood.

I'll post updates and more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.
IT hit 203 at 11:30 this morning (15 hours on the smoker), about 5 hours earlier than I had planned. The butt weight 7.5 pounds when I put it in the smoker.

Wrapped tightly in two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and two beach towels, and placed it in a small cooler. I'm hoping to serve it around 6 pm tonight (in 6 hours).

Here is a picture of the meat when I pulled it off the smoker:

Finished smoking.jpg

You'll note that a "burnt end" fell off when I pulled it off the smoker. Here is a close up:

Burnt end.jpg

I actually ate part of that burnt piece and, I must say, it was very good. Moist, tender, really tasty. Can't wait to pull the butt and serve it for dinner.

Thanks again for looking.

Butt was still hot after resting for 6 hours double-wrapped in aluminum foil and two large beach towels. Here's what it looked like after pulling:

After pulling.jpg

My daughters, wife, and son-in-law agreed it was my best pulled pork ever. Two granddaughters (ages 8 and 3) gobbled it up.

Loving my new Smokin-It!

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: Cabo
Looks amazing. The Smokin' It can certainly turn out some great looking and tasting food. I really like mine. Looking forward to some more great Q.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky