First Pork Butt on the green egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Squirrel master

Original poster
Nov 29, 2020
First time cooking a pork butt on the big green egg. I trimmed, brined, injected and put a rub on the pork. I tried to keep the egg around 225-240 but the lowest I can get it is 257 and that's with all vents closed. The seal isn't that great on the egg so there's a small gap. So far it's looking pretty good imo

Attachments

• PXL_20201129_181236619.jpg
    PXL_20201129_181236619.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 24
Welcome!
That butt is a great selection for a maiden voyage ... very forgiving.

Maybe the hinge needs to be adjusted? ... my felt seals completely.
Also, I’ve not had a problem holding temp down in the lower 200’s ... might have something to do with your charcoal loading/process?
That said, I (and many others here) do butts now in the 250-275 range ... the only difference I’ve ever seen from when I tried to do at 225-230 is a dramatically shorter cook time. And so much fat/collagen in them I never brine nor inject ... always plenty juicy.

Reactions: flexster
Thanks guy's, the grill is communal so I didn't want to mess with the hinges. As far as the loading process, I fill the bottom with lump coal then put a fire starter in the center. After about 15 minutes and the center has a nice hot area I throw the wood on and close the vents down once I get within 20 degrees of where I want.

I'm about 5 hours in and so far everything is going well.

Attachments

• PXL_20201129_204552716.jpg
    PXL_20201129_204552716.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 15
First time cooking a pork butt on the big green egg. I trimmed, brined, injected and put a rub on the pork. I tried to keep the egg around 225-240 but the lowest I can get it is 257 and that's with all vents closed. The seal isn't that great on the egg so there's a small gap. So far it's looking pretty good imo
Pork butts are the one barbecue meat I like to cook in the 240° - 260° range, and my large BGE will usually creep up over time too. Next time, try starting a smaller central fire, and closing down your vents as the temp comes up to 180°, then another adjustment as the temp passes 225° and see how that works for you.

Just an observation.... I would get some moisture on that butt, even a mist of water to just wet the surface until some natural fats weep out. I like to my butts to look like this, and I cook fat cap down and often never turn.
BSu8c.jpg

Pork butts are the one barbecue meat I like to cook in the 240° - 260° range, and my large BGE will usually creep up over time too. Next time, try starting a smaller central fire, and closing down your vents as the temp comes up to 180°, then another adjustment as the temp passes 225° and see how that works for you.

Just an observation.... I would get some moisture on that butt, even a mist of water to just wet the surface until some natural fats weep out. I like to my butts to look like this, and I cook fat cap down and often never turn.
View attachment 473078
Thanks for the suggestions, I have some apple cider vinegar/water I've been spritzing it with. Maybe I should do it more often. Nice looking butt's

Welcome!
That butt is a great selection for a maiden voyage ... very forgiving.

Maybe the hinge needs to be adjusted? ... my felt seals completely.
Also, I’ve not had a problem holding temp down in the lower 200’s ... might have something to do with your charcoal loading/process?
That said, I (and many others here) do butts now in the 250-275 range ... the only difference I’ve ever seen from when I tried to do at 225-230 is a dramatically shorter cook time. And so much fat/collagen in them I never brine nor inject ... always plenty juicy.
275º is my go to temperature on my Egg. I use a SMOBOT and set it and forget it......that is if I have enough lumps in it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have some apple cider vinegar/water I've been spritzing it with. Maybe I should do it more often. Nice looking butt's
Cider vinegar works fine, about anything does. Just don't mist or mop too often. I've used water with dill pickle juice and a few drops of Worcestershire. I tend to stay away from anything with too much sugar as it will promote early darkening, so for example.... instead of 100% apple juice I will cut it with water and maybe add a couple teaspoons of olive oil to make it stick better.

Reactions: Squirrel master
Looks like a success. After the wrapped step, some resting is a good idea, but you now have a a baseline for future cooks. I forgot to mention that I super fine grind some rub, and add it with a little salt to the pulled meat. That plus some foil drippings take it up a notch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky