First Pork Butt on Rec Tec Bull

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinJim47

Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Delaware
Hello everyone first time poster but have been around awhile and learned a lot from all of you. I finally pulled the trigger on a rec tec bull and I couldn't be more pleased, here's some pics from opening the box to the burn in to my first pork butt on it yesterday. I got it all put together Wednesday night and fired it up about 6 Thursday morning for my first smoke (I couldn't wait for this weekend to try it out) so I put a 8.5lb bone in butt on at 6:30 at 250, after about 4 hours I cranked it up to 275 from my desk at work (wifi app is great so far for tracking your cook and adjusting temps). I got home at 5:30 and IT was 198 so I let it go about another hour to 203 before I opened the lid to check it out. Probed very easily at 203 so I took it out and foiled with about 1/2 cup of apple juice then rested for an hour before pulling. This was easily the best pork butt I've made yet and can't wait to try out some ribs this weekend. Thanks for looking
IMG_8403.jpg
IMG_8404.jpg
IMG_8405.jpg
IMG_8406.jpg
IMG_8407.jpg
IMG_8409.jpg

Nice job on the PP, and congratulation on the new smoker.

Chris

Looks good!
How was your smoke flavor? What did you use for pellets?
I have 2 shoulders for the bull this weekend. I am using CookinPellets 100% hickory pellets.

Thanks guys it was great, the smoke flavor was perfect for me but everyone's got a different opinion on how much smoke they like. You can tell the smoke is there but it's not overpowering or too smoky. I used the rec tec ultimate blend pellets which are red oak, white oak and hickory and worked great for me.

Everything looks great man...except that red flag in your front yard! Haha jk like the grill and that butt looks awesome!
Haha all I have to say is 41-.... jk i'm not gonna go that low lol but thanks for the kind words and let me know if you ever want me to send you one of those red flags! lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky