First Pork Butt-MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rivermay

Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Corona, CA
First Pork Butt-MES 30

Did my first butt today 9lb took 18 hours in my MES 30. Temp was 225 and I didn’t wrap it or peek the entire smoke. Only negative was the drippings in the foil pan below the butt dried up and burned. Any suggestios?

Attachments

• F9CDAD3E-3343-444B-80C9-71BADACE5D64.jpeg
    F9CDAD3E-3343-444B-80C9-71BADACE5D64.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1AD631C1-2289-4020-90CC-BDA37A04D8D8.jpeg
    1AD631C1-2289-4020-90CC-BDA37A04D8D8.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 18
  • E8076420-BA9F-4EDF-B2E2-6FAA6E814CBD.jpeg
    E8076420-BA9F-4EDF-B2E2-6FAA6E814CBD.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 38E9A120-D888-4CFC-99ED-895CBF8527B7.jpeg
    38E9A120-D888-4CFC-99ED-895CBF8527B7.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 19
Looks good! Maybe try wrapping it next time if you want to try to save some of those drippings... I like to wrap right in a aluminum pan

Looks good though.

I've done them wrapped for the last 2-3 hours, unwrapped the whole time, etc. I did one today as well, and the drippings dried up and burned too. Usually i cook it in an aluminum pan in the drippings. Today I did it directly on the rack with the pan on the rack below. Still came out good and moist. 8 pounder took 17 hours at 250' cook temp.

I don't worry about catching the drippings, the ? is how did the meat turn out? was it lacking something? or was it dried out? looks great from over here. water pan have water in it or running it dry? next time change up only 1 thing different and see if it gets better, I have found out when I change every thing up I still don't get the results I was wanting so 1 thing at a time each cook. I'm not in a race to perfect anything and the food is always good for the most part so baby steps for me as I creep up on the perfect Que some how some day lol

Reactions: MJB05615
First Pork Butt-MES 30

Did my first butt today 9lb took 18 hours in my MES 30. Temp was 225 and I didn’t wrap it or peek the entire smoke. Only negative was the drippings in the foil pan below the butt dried up and burned. Any suggestios?

Hi there and welcome!

Man that looks good for first time or not!
Don't worry about the drippings, sometimes they happen, sometimes they dont. What matters is that it comes out tasting great and if u need more flavor when shredded just mix in more seasoning/rub into the shredded meat until u get the flavor you desire.

Something I do to help get better flavor is I split the pork butt from the bottom (meat side) up to the bone and season and spread the meat some but it is still all one piece.
This gives me more surface area to season and more bark and when shredded I have to add way less seasoning/rub into the shredded product and there is more bark for the bark fans.

I hope this info helps and keep it up! :)

Hi there and welcome!

Man that looks good for first time or not!
Don't worry about the drippings, sometimes they happen, sometimes they dont. What matters is that it comes out tasting great and if u need more flavor when shredded just mix in more seasoning/rub into the shredded meat until u get the flavor you desire.

Something I do to help get better flavor is I split the pork butt from the bottom (meat side) up to the bone and season and spread the meat some but it is still all one piece.
This gives me more surface area to season and more bark and when shredded I have to add way less seasoning/rub into the shredded product and there is more bark for the bark fans.

I hope this info helps and keep it up! :)
So you partially split the pork butt before cooking to allow more space to pre season? That's a great idea, I'll definitely try next one I do. Thanks for the info.

Mike

So you partially split the pork butt before cooking to allow more space to pre season? That's a great idea, I'll definitely try next one I do. Thanks for the info.

Mike
Yeah here's a full write up/post on it so you can see pics and get details on exactly what I did :)

Its the only way I do pork butts now :)

Thanks, that cleared up all of my questions. Makes perfect sense. Definitely gonna try it next Pork Butt I do.

Mike

Thanks, that cleared up all of my questions. Makes perfect sense. Definitely gonna try it next Pork Butt I do.

Mike

Nice man, u will definitely have a better pork butt with this pork butt butt approach :D

I keep enough water in the drip pan to keep the fat from burning in the pan. I had the same problem last week on a long butt smoke. Let the water evaporate and burned the drippings which in my opinion, tarnished the taste a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky