First Pork Blade Boston Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waterboy

Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
No water in the pan on the Meco Electric Smoker - just using it as a drip pan.  Hickory in the chip pan.

Made a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, oregano, salt, pepper, sage, sugar.

At 3 1/2 hours, temp is 160 right now.  What do I need temp wise 195-205?

bb54086c_DSC00022.jpg

Looks like a good start!  203° to 205° is what you are looking to reach for pulled pork.  I would add some apple juice and beer in that water pan.  Just a personal preference, but I think it adds flavor and smell to the Q that is really nice. 

Last edited:
I usually go to 200° but nothing wrong with going to 205°.  Are you foiling at 165° or just taking it to temp and then foiling?  I also prefer something in the water pan because it adds moisture during the cook.

What chamber temps are you running, internal meat temp of 160° in 3 1/2 hours is pretty fast.

I usually go to 200° but nothing wrong with going to 205°.  Are you foiling at 165° or just taking it to temp and then foiling?  I also prefer something in the water pan because it adds moisture during the cook.

What chamber temps are you running, internal meat temp of 160° in 3 1/2 hours is pretty fast.
DeanNC, I don't know what my actual temp was - my thermo just says "warm, ideal, hot" lol. I foiled it at 180 and took it off at 200.

The unveiling. . .had to pull of the corner and try it - OMG!!

5626d71c_DSC00024.jpg

So tender the crack in the middle happened when I stuck a fork in it to lift it off the foil!

1e21ae92_DSC00027.jpg

Reactions: meateater
Congrats on the first pulled pork smoke.

That looks real tasty.

I did a small one the other day and the Woman had one of her gal pals here and then my boys showed up.

I barely got one plate full.

Great pictures too,what camera are you using to take the pictures? No flash? How you doing that?

Congrats on your first success. If I could make a suggestion for the next one, wrap the foil pack in towels when you pull it and stick it in an empty ice chest filled with towels or newspaper for at least an hour or two to redistribute the juices and you will be amazed at how much it changes the final product

Yours looks awesome for sure
points.gif

Congrats on the first pulled pork smoke.

That looks real tasty.

I did a small one the other day and the Woman had one of her gal pals here and then my boys showed up.

I barely got one plate full.

Great pictures too,what camera are you using to take the pictures? No flash? How you doing that?
TY!  It's just a little sony cybershot 4.1 mp point and shoot - I got the flash on auto.

Who says yanks can't do BBQ - woo hoo!!

cc706a04_DSC00029.jpg

09c75f89_DSC00030.jpg

8b21cc48_DSC00034.jpg

Reactions: meateater
Glad it worked out for you!  It certainly looked good.   I would scrap that thermo on the smoker and get a digital to moniter grate level temps.  I would bet that you were a lot hotter than you wanted to be.

looks good man. Now do your self a favor, go get a NEW & GOOD thermo for the chamber temp, calibrate it, & get rid of that manufactor one.

It does look good forsure !!!!!!! I just do not understand how you got it there so fast. My first one took me 16 hours....

Well it was only 4.83 lbs, so maybe thats why it didn't take too long?  As you can see from the pics, it was really juicy, so not dried out or anything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky